Martha McGarry is a partner in Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. She is an internationally recognized corporate and securities lawyer with extensive experience in both US and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, shareholder activism and corporate governance matters. Martha serves as the co-leader of Mayer Brown’s Global M&A practice.
Over the past 40 years Martha has advised on numerous high-profile and transformational transactions, including General Motors in its acquisition of EDS; American Express in the sale of American Express Bank to Standard Chartered; and Coca-Cola in its purchase of Coca-Cola Enterprises, as well as transactions involving Vitamin Water, Honest Tea, Keurig Green Mountain and Monster Beverage. Other major deals have included Caesars Entertainment’s sale to Harrah’s Entertainment; Hershey’s purchases of Skinny Pop Popcorn in the US and Golden Monkey in China; Frontier Communications’ purchases of multistate telephone properties from both AT&T and Verizon; and CIT’s historic prepackaged bankruptcy restructuring. Typically, Martha is involved in early-stage strategic planning with her clients.
Other representative clients include Criteo, Lockheed Martin, Walmart and Honeywell. Among the industries in which Martha has substantial experience are consumer products, finance, telecommunications, real estate, technology, gaming, defense and pharmaceuticals. Her global representations include transactions in China, Southeast Asia, Europe, India and Latin America.
Martha has repeatedly been recognized as a leader, including in 2019, when she received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the New York Law Journal, and she was selected by Chambers USA for its first-ever Women in Law Awards as Corporate/M&A Lawyer of the Year. She was named Dealmaker of the Week by The Am Law Daily for her work advising American Express and CIT Group. Finally, Martha also was named as one of Law360’s Top Female Deal Makers.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in its worldwide strategic partnership with Monster Beverage Corporation and its strategic partnership followed by the sale of Keurig Green Mountain
- Represented The Hershey Company in its acquisition of Chinese candy company Shanghai Golden Monkey Food Joint Stock Co., Ltd.
- Represented Frontier Communications Corporation in its $10.5 billion acquisition of the wireline businesses of Verizon in California, Texas and Florida and in its $2 billion acquisition of the wireline business of AT&T in Connecticut
- Represented American Express Company in numerous transactions, including:
- its strategic partnership with Lianlian Group of China to introduce American Express’ digital payments platform — Serve — throughout China
- its $150 million acquisition of Accertify, Inc.
- its $300 million purchase of Revolution Money, an internet-based payments platform
- the $1.1 billion sale of its international subsidiary, American Express Bank Ltd., to Standard Chartered PLC
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in numerous transactions, including:
- its $13 billion acquisition of the North American business of its largest bottler, Coca-Cola Enterprises
- the $689 million sale of its 51 percent stake in Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines, Inc. to Coca-Cola FEMSA, S.A.B. de C.V. (Mexico)
- its acquisition of a 40 percent stake coupled with an option in Honest Tea
- its $4.1 billion acquisition of Energy Brands d/b/a/ Glacéau
- its acquisition of Fuze Beverage
- its proposed, but terminated, $2.5 billion tender offer for China Huiyuan Juice Group, a deal that was selected as one of Asian-Counsel magazine’s 2008 Deals of the Year
- Represented Rain CII Carbon LLC, a subsidiary of Rain Commodities Limited (India), in its $914 million acquisition of RÜTGERS (Germany), a manufacturer of specialty chemicals, from funds advised by Triton (United Kingdom)
- Represented CIT Group in its historic corporate restructuring, culminating in the filing and successful implementation of the largest-ever prepackaged bankruptcy, the first for a financial institution
Fordham University, JD
Middlebury College, BA
- Nueva York