Under Resolution 41/2009/QH12 dated 25 November 2009, the Vietnamese National Assembly approved investment in the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project, comprising two plants each having two turbines, to supply electricity to the national power grid. Both Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Plant 1 and Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Plant 2 will be located in Ninh Thuan Province. To implement this resolution, on 3 May 2010, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung ("PM") signed Decision 580/QD-TTg ("Decision 580") to establish the State Steering Committee for the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Plant Project to be headed by Deputy PM Hoang Trung Hai ("State Steering Committee").
The State Steering Committee will assist the PM to direct implementation of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project with the following duties and powers:
- To direct, inspect and monitor implementation of investment preparation and investment in construction of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project in accordance with the National Assembly's approved investment policy, and to implement the PM's decisions on such project;
- On the PM's authority, to act and decide on mechanisms and policies and to handle specific issues within the PM's authority during implementation of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project;
- To report to the PM regularly on the status of implementation of investment procedures, construction progress and work quality of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project, and to propose and submit solutions to the PM for consideration and decision on any issues beyond its authority;
- To direct relevant ministries and departments to prepare and complete all relevant legal documents in order to ensure implementation of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project on schedule and to ensure work quality, safety and security;
- To direct relevant ministries, departments, provincial people's committees, the owner, domestic and foreign consulting organisations and contractors to implement the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project in order to ensure construction progress and quality;
- To direct the construction of national infrastructure supporting the Nuclear Power Development Program; and
- To provide directions and to coordinate with relevant sectors and local authorities to solve problems during implementation of the Ninh Thuan Nuclear Power Project, such as migration, resettlement and site clearance in order to build the project works.
The Deputy Heads of the State Steering Committee will comprise the Minister of Industry and Trade, the Chairman of the Committee of Science, Technology and Environment of the National Assembly, the Minister of Science and Technology, the Minister of Construction and the Chairman of People's Committee of Ninh Thuan Province.
Members will comprise one Deputy Minister from each of the other ministries, ministerial equivalent bodies, local authorities and the General Director of Electricity of Vietnam.
Depending on the content of the State Steering Committee's meetings, the Head of the State Steering Committee will invite representatives from relevant ministries, departments and provincial authorities to attend the meeting and report on necessary issues.
The State Steering Committee will establish full-time subcommittees to assist the State Steering Committee when necessary.
The General Group of the Ministry of Industry and Trade will assist the State Steering Committee.
The Deputy PM cum Head of the State Steering Committee will sign directives and use the seal of the PM; Deputy Heads and members of the State Steering Committee will sign directives in accordance with tasks assigned to them and use the seal of their offices.
The functions, tasks, powers, participants and working rules of the General Group and of the full-time subcommittees will be stipulated in the Operational Regulations of the State Steering Committee.
Electricity of Vietnam will ensure the funding, working facilities and working conditions for the State Steering Committee, its full-time subcommittees and for the General Group.
Decision 580 took effect as from 3 May 2010.
For inquiries related to this Legal Update, please contact:
Dao Nguyen (email@example.com)
Kevin B Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thinh Dan (email@example.com)