With the ever changing state and local corporate income tax landscape and the accelerating pace of corporate mergers and acquisitions, now, more so than ever, is a good time to sharpen your knowledge of the basic tenets of mergers and acquisitions. This session will provide an overview of the issues and potential traps facing both buyers and sellers from a state and local tax perspective. For buyers, it is paramount to understand what is being acquired and how it will impact its go forward state tax profile. For sellers, it is necessary to take a fresh look at sourcing gains/losses under new state sourcing regimes. The panel will also include an overview of the lifecycle of a transaction and will include a discussion on transfer taxes and related planning that can help minimize potential transactional liabilities.
After attending the session, the participant will be able to:
- Explain the overall lifecycle of a transaction including the role of various parties
- Consider state and local tax issues that arise in pre-transactional restructuring
- Identify state and local tax issues specific to both buyers and sellers
- Discuss new issues arising after federal tax reform (“TCJA”)
- Analyze the various state and local transfer taxes that could arise as a result of the transaction
For additional information, please visit the event website.