Ricky Yiu is a partner of Mayer Brown's Real Estate practice in Hong Kong whose main areas of focus are on real estate and development projects in Hong Kong, the PRC and Macau. He has extensive experience in acting in all stages of the real estate investment cycle including acquisition, financing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and disposals. Ricky also advises hotel owners and international hotel operators on the drafting and negotiation of hotel management and related agreements in the Asia Pacific region. He is listed as a notable practitioner for Real Estate in Chambers Asia Pacific.
Ricky is a notary public in Hong Kong and a China-Appointed Attesting Officer. He speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Represented a joint venture company between a foreign investment corporation and Pioneer Global Group Limited, in the US$938 million purchase of InterContinental Hong Kong (the Hotel) by way of share acquisition from the Hotel's original owner and management company, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts Group.
- Represented China Life Insurance (Overseas) Co. Limited on the HK$5.85 billion partial purchase of One HarbourGate from Wheelock Properties. China Life Insurance acquired the West Tower and West Villa together with 218 private car parking spaces and 11 motor cycle parking spaces of One HarbourGate. The acquired property will become the headquarters of China Life Insurance's overseas investment arm.
- Represented a joint venture company between two private equity real estate funds in the HK$1.65 billion disposal of Kian Dai Industrial Building at Nos. 73 and 75 Hung To Road, Kwun Tong, by way of sale of an offshore BVI company, which owns the property holding Hong Kong company.
- Represented a joint venture company between a listed company and a private equity real estate fund in the HK$1.825 billion acquisition of properties at No. 8-12 Peak Road, Hong Kong, by way of acquisition of certain offshore intermediate holding companies and also represented the private equity real estate fund in the establishment of the joint venture company for the acquisition of the said properties.
- Represented a private equity real estate fund in the HK$1.38 billion purchase of a office/retail property in Kwun Tong by way of acquisition of the entire issued share capital together with the related shareholder’s loan of an offshore company which owns the property.
- Represented National Electronics Holdings Limited in the disposal of 50% interest in the residential redevelopment site at No. 45 Tai Tam Road to Malibu Development Holdings Limited, which is a special purpose vehicle owned by an unrelated private equity real estate fund. The agreed value of the land cost of No. 45 Tai Tam Road is about HK$1.582 billion.
- Represented two listed companies in the disposal of an office building in the prime district of Shanghai, China to a reputable fund manager in Singapore at a consideration of RMB 2.9 billion by way of disposal of an offshore company which owns the WFOE, being the registered owner of the property.
- Represented the private investment arm of a listed company in its partial exit of its joint venture with a private equity fund management company in respect of a RMB 2.9 billion shopping mall in Shanghai.
- Represented a private equity fund management company in the exit of its 50:50 joint venture in a BVI company which indirectly holds a PRC company which owns a shopping mall in Guangdong.
- Represented a listed company in the purchase of some 34 shop units in Macau by way of acquisition of the entire issued share capital together with the related shareholder’ s loan of an offshore company which owns the shop units.
- Acted for a tycoon in Hong Kong in the purchase of 96.8 percent interest of a real estate project in Beijing, PRC by two offshore share sale and purchase agreements with a total investment of more than RMB 7.8 billion.
- Advised Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation on its land grant with the government, the inception of the Hong Kong Science Park, the leasing structure and other real estate and management issues.
- Acted and approved titles of more than 80 different properties for The Link Real Estate Investment Trust (the “Link REIT”) in connection with the Hong Kong Housing Authority’s plans to divest its retail and car parking operations and facilities into the Link REIT.
Manchester Metropolitan University, LSF
Manchester Metropolitan University, CPE
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, BSocSc
- Hong Kong
- Member, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member, Hong Kong Society of Notaries
- Member, Association of China-Appointed Attesting Officers
- Notable Practitioner - Banking and Finance, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2019)
- Band 2 – Real Estate (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2016-2019)
- Band 3 – Real Estate (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015)