Raymond Xie is an associate of Mayer Brown. Raymond has extensive experience in commercial litigation and international arbitration. He has advised and represented financial institutions, listed companies and multinational corporations on financial services disputes, investment disputes, shareholders’ disputes, contractual disputes, international sale and purchase of goods, real estate litigations, bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings, enforcement proceedings and cross-border regulatory matters and investigations, and has a focus on large scale cross-border litigations, arbitrations and SFC investigations with PRC elements.
Raymond is also a PRC qualified lawyer. He has worked in a leading PRC law firm and our firm’s London office and also spent significant time on secondment at a leading international bank in its Asia-Pacific headquarters and Korean branch. He speaks fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Acted for a property developer to resist the enforcement of a CIETAC arbitral award in Hong Kong regarding a property development project in the PRC, and to defend the claims for damages arising from a breach of an implied promise to perform the arbitral award, constructive trust and economic torts before the Court of First Instance, the Court of Appeal and the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong.
- Represented a Macanese company before the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong for disputes arising from a PRC equity joint venture and investment projects in the United States with a claim of over US$ 60 million.
- Represented a Hong Kong listed company before the Hong Kong High Court for disputes over a network TV collaboration with a claim of more than RMB 2 billion.
- Advised a leading technology company on claims relating to breach of confidentiality and misappropriation of a trade secret before the Hong Kong High Court involving infringement acts in the PRC.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company in an arbitration at the SCIA concerning a shareholders' dispute arising from a PRC equity joint venture with a claim of over RMB 6 billion.
- Acted for a Taiwanese listed company in an arbitration at the HKIAC concerning the international sale and purchase of goods with a claim amount of over US$100 million.
- Represented the vendor in a HKIAC arbitration for a dispute arising from the non-compete obligation contained in an agreement for the sale and purchase of shares in a chemical company in mainland China.
- Represented a well-known real estate developer in a HKIAC arbitration for tax disputes arising from the sale of a real estate project in Shanghai.
- Advised a leading international bank on a global investigation initiated by a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Represented a large multinational company in an internal investigation in mainland China for suspected violations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented a large international bank in an internal investigation into suspected violations of the Code of Conduct for Persons Licensed by or Registered with the SFC.
- Represented a British bank in handling criminal investigations on tax evasion by the Hunan Provincial Public Security Bureau and the Hunan Provincial People's Procuratorate of the PRC.
- Advised various Hong Kong listed companies, investment banks, securities companies, fund management companies and their executive directors, de facto controllers and responsible officers, etc in SFC investigations relating to connected transaction, disclosure of information, insider dealing, share buy-back, money laundering and other forms of market misconduct and in related HKEx enquiries.
Other matters – Winding up, liquidation and debt collection
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company in a compulsory liquidation case involving a PRC equity joint venture on shareholder disputes and liquidation disputes, involving assets of more than RMB 20 billion.
- Advised a Hong Kong bank in the winding up of a large PRC state owned enterprise and its debt restructuring, involving debts exceeding RMB 1 billion.
- Advised an Indian bank on the winding up of a multinational company and represented it before the Hong Kong High Court, with the amount of total debt exceeding US $ 220 million.
- Provided legal advice to a number of banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions, private equity funds, and goods or service providers on debt collection and contract disputes in Hong Kong and mainland China.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, JD
Sun Yat-sen University, LLB
- Hong Kong