Eugene Wong is a partner in the Real Estate practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. Eugene represents corporations, private equity and venture capital investors and investment managers in a wide range of real estate, corporate and commercial matters. His experience includes domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, strategic alliances and corporate restructurings, with particular emphasis on the real estate sector. He also advises on real estate financing transactions and sale of first-hand properties (including residential, office, commercial, industrial and other mixed-use composite developments).
Eugene is a Notary Public in Hong Kong. Eugene speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advised SEA Holdings on the HK$10 billion (or approx. £926 million) disposal of Dah Sing Financial Centre, a 38-storey commercial and office building in Hong Kong. The selling price marks the second highest ever in Hong Kong for an office building.
- Advised a consortium of investors advised and managed by Gaw Capital Partners on the US$938 million purchase of InterContinental Hong Kong, an iconic 5-star hotel in Hong Kong.
- Advised a Korean real estate asset management company, through a Guam REIT structure, on the US$125 million acquisition of The Westin Resort Guam.
- Advised a consortium of investors on the HK$7.5 billion acquisition of an investment vehicle which indirectly owns OCTA Tower, 8 Lam Chak Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
- Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Ltd. on its disposal for over HK$5.3 billion of China Overseas Building on 139 Hennessy Road and 138 Lockhart Road and Hoover Tower V on 8 St. Francis Yard both in Wanchai. The disposals constituted two connected transactions for our client under the Listing Rules in Hong Kong.
- Advised a high net worth individual on the HK$5 billion disposal by his investment company of a shopping mall known as “KCP” in Kowloon City, Hong Kong, which comprises 640,000 square feet of retail space and over 70 retail stores.
- Advised CSI Properties Limited on the HK$2 billion disposal of the holding company of the properties located at 3, 4, 5 and 6 Glenealy, Hong Kong and the related joint venture arrangements with subsidiaries of PCCW Limited and Pacific Century Premium Developments Limited.
- Advised a fund on its HK$1.9 billion acquisition of an investment vehicle which indirectly owns the property located at 69 Jervois Street, Hong Kong.
- Advised H Development Holdings Limited on its HK$1.7 billion acquisition of J Plus Hotel by YOO on 1 Irvine Street, Causeway Bay, consisting of 53 rooms and a restaurant together with a portfolio of commercial properties in Causeway Bay.
- Advised Principal Financial Group on the acquisition of AXA's retirement schemes business in Hong Kong for approximate HK$2.6 billion. This is the largest transaction of its nature since the MPF scheme was introduced in 2000, and is expected to set a precedent for consolidation in the industry.
- Advised Warner Music on its acquisition of the music recording and artist management business of Gold Typhoon Group, one of the largest independent music companies in Greater China with operations in Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- Advised a Taiwan-based investor in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns a retail and office complex in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, known as "Cubus", for a consideration of approx. HK$1.53 billion, and its subsequent disposal.
- Advised Phoenix Property Investors in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns an office and retail complex on Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$1.38 billion, and its subsequent disposal for a consideration of approx. HK$1.99 billion.
- Advised the joint venture between an international private equity real estate fund and Hanison Construction Holdings Limited on its HK$800 million acquisition of an investment vehicle which indirectly owns Success Centre, an industrial building on 26-38 Ta Chuen Ping Street, Kwai Chung, and its subsequent disposal for a consideration of approx. HK$1 billion.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns a 26-storey industrial building in Shatin, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$1.31 billion.
- Advised Phoenix Property Investors on its HK$918 million acquisition of Esprit Holdings Limited's Hong Kong office comprising 5 office floors, 16 car parking spaces and a signage area at Enterprise Square Three on 39 Wang Chiu Road, Kowloon, and its subsequent disposal.
- Advised a fund on its HK$892 million acquisition of parts of Ground, First and Second Floors of Tonnochy Towers, 250, 252, 256-270 and 274 Jaffe Road, 5 Tonnochy Road and 4 Stewart Road, Hong Kong.
- Advised Hanison Construction Holdings Limited on its HK$489 million acquisition of the property known as Hay Nien Building located at 1 Tai Yip Street, Kwun Tong, Kowloon.
- Advised Hanison Construction Holdings Limited on its HK$710 million disposal of the company that owns certain pieces of land in Demarcation District 129 in Yuen Long, New Territories, Hong Kong.
- Advised a luxury Asia-wide hospitality group in its disposal of an investment vehicle which owns and operates a building of serviced apartments on Connaught Road West, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$462 million.
- Advised CSI Properties Limited on its HK$386 million acquisition of the company that owns a residential building on No. 6 Glenealy, Hong Kong.
- Advised the partners of Davis Langdon & Seah, the leading cost/project management and quantity surveying consultancy in Asia, on its merger with Arcadis N.V., the international consultancy, design, engineering and management services company. Davis Langdon & Seah is the oldest and largest cost and project consultancy in Asia, with more than 2,800 employees in 37 offices across the region.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- LMG Rising Star – Expert Guides (2015-2017)
- Associate to watch - Corporate/M&A: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)