"good job he did in the engine room for us, co-ordinating a very complicated legal process."Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
Eugene Wong is a partner of Mayer Brown. Eugene represents corporations, private equity and venture capital investors and investment managers in a wide range of corporate and commercial matters. His experience includes domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, strategic alliances and corporate restructurings, with particular emphasis on the real estate sector.
Eugene was recognised as Rising Star by Legal Media Group in Expert Guides 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Eugene speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Advised SEA Holdings on the HK$10 billion (or approx. £926 million) disposal of Dah Sing Financial Centre, a 38-storey commercial and office building in Hong Kong. The selling price marks the second highest ever in Hong Kong for an office building.
- Advised a consortium of investors advised and managed by Gaw Capital Partners on the US$938 million purchase of InterContinental Hong Kong, an iconic 5-star hotel in Hong Kong.
- Advised a Korean real estate asset management company, through a Guam REIT structure, on the US$125 million acquisition of The Westin Resort Guam.
- Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Ltd. on its disposal for over HK$5.3 billion of China Overseas Building on No. 139 Hennessy Road and No. 138 Lockhart Road and Hoover Tower V on No. 8 St. Francis Yard both in Wanchai. The disposals constituted two connected transactions for our client under the Listing Rules in Hong Kong.
- Advised a high net worth individual on the HK$5 billion disposal by his investment company of a shopping mall known as “KCP” in Kowloon City, Hong Kong, which comprises 640,000 square feet of retail space and over 70 retail stores.
- Advised H Development Holdings Limited on its HK$1.7 billion acquisition of J Plus Hotel by YOO on No. 1 Irvine Street, Causeway Bay, consisting of 53 rooms and a restaurant together with a portfolio of commercial properties in Causeway Bay.
- Advised Principal Financial Group on the acquisition of AXA's retirement schemes business in Hong Kong for approximate HK$2.6 billion. This is the largest transaction of its nature since the MPF scheme was introduced in 2000, and is expected to set a precedent for consolidation in the industry.
- Advised Warner Music on its acquisition of the music recording and artist management business of Gold Typhoon Group, one of the largest independent music companies in Greater China with operations in Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- Advised a Taiwan-based investor in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns a retail and office complex in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, known as "Cubus", for a consideration of approx. HK$1.53 billion, and its subsequent disposal.
- Advised Phoenix Property Investors in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns an office and retail complex on Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$1.38 billion, and its subsequent disposal for a consideration of approx. HK$1.99 billion.
- Advised the joint venture between an international private equity real estate fund and Hanison Construction Holdings Limited on its HK$800 million acquisition of an investment vehicle which indirectly owns Success Centre, an industrial building on Nos. 26-38 Ta Chuen Ping Street, Kwai Chung, and its subsequent disposal.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed company in its acquisition of an investment vehicle which owns a 26-storey industrial building in Shatin, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$1.31 billion.
- Advised Phoenix Property Investors on its HK$918 million acquisition of Esprit Holdings Limited's Hong Kong office comprising 5 office floors, 16 car parking spaces and a signage area at Enterprise Square Three on No. 39 Wang Chiu Road, Kowloon.
- Advised Hanison Construction Holdings Limited on its HK$710 million disposal of the company that owns certain pieces of land in Demarcation District 129 in Yuen Long, New Territories, Hong Kong.
- Advised a luxury Asia-wide hospitality group in its disposal of an investment vehicle which owns and operates a building of serviced apartments on Connaught Road West, Hong Kong, for a consideration of approx. HK$462 million.
- Advised CSI Properties Limited on its HK$386 million acquisition of the company that owns a residential building on No. 6 Glenealy, Hong Kong.
- Advised the partners of Davis Langdon & Seah, the leading cost/project management and quantity surveying consultancy in Asia, on its merger with Arcadis N.V., the international consultancy, design, engineering and management services company. Davis Langdon & Seah is the oldest and largest cost and project consultancy in Asia, with more than 2,800 employees in 37 offices across the region.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- LMG Rising Star – Expert Guides (2015-2017)
- "good job he did in the engine room for us, co-ordinating a very complicated legal process.'" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)
- Associate to watch - Corporate/M&A: Hong Kong-based – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013)