Daniel Virtue is an associate in the Intellectual Property group of Mayer Brown’s Chicago office. Daniel manages all aspects of trademark prosecution, including trademark clearance, registration, and enforcement, for clients with global trademark portfolios covering a variety of industries. Daniel’s practice encompasses intellectual property litigation (trademark, trade secret, and domain name) in federal court, and matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB); copyright counseling; domain name enforcement and Uniform Dispute Resolution (UDRP) proceedings; and intellectual property licensing.
Daniel has applied his trademark experience to his transaction practice, which includes due diligence and the sale and licensing of Intellectual Property assets.
- Advise clients regarding the likelihood of success in pursuing enforcement actions before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeals Board and U.S. Federal Courts.
- Prosecute and defend trademark infringement claims in opposition and cancellation proceedings before T.T.A.B.
- Negotiate and draft settlement agreements regarding claims of copyright and trademark infringement.
- Prosecute and defend numerous successful UDRP proceedings before WIPO.
- Manage global trademark portfolios, including drafting trademark clearance opinions, filing, prosecuting and maintaining U.S. and foreign marks.
- Advise clients regarding worldwide trademark strategy.
- Correspond daily with foreign counsel regarding international watch notices, oppositions, and responses to office actions.
- Experienced in domain registration, maintenance, and transfers.
- Draft petitions for inter partes review before the United States Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Respond to office actions in ex parte reexamination proceedings before the USPTO.
- Reviews and prepares trademark searches and opinion letters.
- Apply skills gained through the enforcement and procurement of Intellectual Property to due diligence and transactional matters.
- Advise clients regarding the purchase and sale of Intellectual Property assets, including trademarks, copyrights, and patents.
DePaul University College of Law, JD
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BBA