Charles K. S. Tay
Litigation & Dispute Resolution, International Arbitration, Construction & Engineering
Charles Tay is a senior associate in the International Arbitration practice in Mayer Brown’s Singapore office. He advises and represents clients from across the breadth of Asia, Europe and the Americas in high-stakes international arbitrations arising out of major global energy, investment, technology and construction projects.
Charles helps global manufacturers, contractors, traders, technology companies and private equity deal participants navigate and resolve intractable disputes including on pre- and post- transaction complications, contractual cross-breaches and termination, force majeure and change of circumstances.
- An international industrial conglomerate as respondent in an ICC arbitration concerning the nuclear industry in China. The tribunal dismissed all of the claimant’s claims and awarded a substantial part of the respondent’s counterclaims, with full costs payable by the counterparty.
- An entity of a Korean industrial conglomerate as respondent in a HKIAC arbitration with a global trading house over LNG cargo deliveries. The tribunal dismissed all of the claimant’s claims, with full costs payable by the counterparty.
- An Asian main board listed company as respondent in a bilingual English-Mandarin CIETAC arbitration over a derailed share and technology business sale in China and another Asian state. The tribunal dismissed all of the claimant’s claims.
- A large Japanese conglomerate in a SIAC arbitration over a substantial international electrical business purchase concerning post-purchase price adjustments. The tribunal issued its award in favour of the client.
- A "Future Leader" among international arbitration practitioners in Asia-Pacific, Arbitration Future Leaders – Non-Partners – Who's Who Legal 2024
- “responsive and provide[s] precise legal advice” – Global Arbitration Review
- Peking University, Master of Laws
Chinese Government Scholar; China Development Bank Excellence Award
- The University of Queensland, Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
Professional & Community Involvement
- Asia-Pacific Regional Representative, London Court of International Arbitration’s Young International Arbitration Group (LCIA-YIAG) (2020-2024)
- Steering Committee Member, Tashkent International Arbitration Centre’s TIAC45 (2021-2023)