Jordan Sagalowsky is a partner in the New York office of Mayer Brown's Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He represents clients in all phases of litigation from initial pleadings through discovery, trial, and appeal. Jordan's practice focuses on banking and financial services disputes, environmental mass torts, and products liability claims. Jordan also serves as a trusted advisor to clients on risk mitigation issues—regularly advising clients' in-house legal, government affairs, and external communications teams on matters impacting the defense of litigation.
Jordan's trial litigation experience includes sitting second-chair on behalf of a major global bank in a six-week, $65 million federal court trial. After concluding the trial, Jordan was instrumental in the negotiation of a favorable settlement of all claims. Jordan has also won the dismissal of claims worth as much as $1 billion filed against clients serving as institutional lenders and RMBS trustees.
In his environmental mass tort and products liability practice, Jordan serves as a central member of the firm's global defense team in hundreds of cases concerning alleged water contamination, property damage, and personal injuries arising out of a client's legacy chemical business.
Jordan has amassed extensive experience conducting fact and expert discovery. Jordan's experience includes taking numerous depositions, as well as preparing and defending client witnesses. Jordan also argues discovery motions, oversees third-party e-discovery firms, and advises clients on international e-discovery issues such as the impact of foreign data privacy laws and blocking statutes.
Beyond courtroom proceedings, Jordan frequently advises clients in pre-suit negotiations and litigation risk assessments undertaken during the negotiation of complex commercial transactions.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of $65 million claims for major global bank after sitting second-chair throughout six-week federal court trial of various non-payment, foreclosure, and lender liability claims brought by and against client.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of major global bank, dismissing $1 billion claims alleging breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and tortious interference with contract in connection with client's divestiture of capital markets and other banking businesses.
- Won complete dismissal of $33 million claims by hedge fund against RMBS trustee client, and successfully defended all aspects of judgment on appeal.
- Advised commercial real estate investment firm on potential franchisor-franchisee disputes and other litigation risks in connection with prospective purchase of roughly $50 million in hotel assets.
- Represents Fortune 100 company in global defense of environmental mass tort and products liability claims involving alleged groundwater contamination, property damage, and personal injuries arising out of client's legacy chemical business.
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
Harvard University, AB, cum laude
- New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York