"Henrique Rojas is proficient in cross-border asset acquisitions and projects"The Legal 500, 2024
Henrique Rojas is a senior associate in the Corporate/M&A and Energy practices of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the Rio de Janeiro office. He advises domestic and foreign energy, oil and gas and infrastructure companies on corporate, regulatory and contractual matters, including prominent cross-border M&A transactions, asset acquisitions and project development.
Henrique earned his LLM degree from the University of Chicago Law School and has worked as an International Associate at Mayer Brown’s London and Paris offices. Henrique has also been seconded to a global major energy company, where he held the position of Senior Counsel, based in London, and represented the company in the negotiation and acquisition of a number of strategic assets.
Rojas has experience in various cross-border projects across Africa and the Americas, including Brazil, Argentina, Suriname, Mexico, Canada, South Africa, Angola, Mozambique, Namibia and Ivory Coast. Currently, he is also a Regional Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture Brazil-Mozambique – CCIABM. He is recognized by directories and publications such as Latin Lawyer 250, LACCA Approved and Legal 500.
- Seconded in 2021 to a global major energy company, where he held the position of Senior Counsel, based in London, and represented the company in the negotiation and acquisition of a number of strategic assets worldwide.
- Advised Petronas on the acquisition from Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras of 50% working interest in two major offshore oil production assets in Brazil (Tartaruga Verde and Module III Espadarte fields).
- Advised GE Energy Financial Services in the modeling and implementation of a gas-to-power project in the State of Sergipe, Brazil with investments over BRL5 billion.
- Advised Norsk Hydro in the structuring of an LNG project, which consists in the importation of LNG to be regasified in an FSRU terminal or a regasification plant, which will provide gas to an alumina refinery and potentially to other customers, including thermo power plants.
- Advised TotalEnergies on the acquisition of approximately USD 2.2 billion in assets from Petrobras’s divestment plan, including participating interest in Iara and Lapa pre-salt fields (Santos Basin) and option of assignment of participation in Perdido Foldbelt (Gulf of Mexico).
- Advised a Franco-British oil company in the acquisition of Petrobras' 100% working interest in the socalled Pargo Cluster (Pargo, Carapeba and Vermelho Fields) – in the context of Petrobras divestment process.
- Advised Barra Energia in the sale of its 10% working interest to Equinor in the Carcará pre-salt area (BMS-8 Block), offshore Santos Basin.
- Advised Parnaíba Gás Natural S.A. (Eneva’s E&P subsidiary) in the acquisition of 100% working interest from Petrobras in the Azulão Field (aiming to implement a “reservoir to wire” project).
- Advised Rowan Companies (Valaris) in the acquisition of two jack-up rigs from Petrobras Netherlands B.V. At the time of the acquisition by Petrobras, the two rigs were an investment of approximately USD 360 million per rig.
- Advised a leading European bank in a reserve-based lending facility for Central Resources in Brazil.
- Advised several oil and gas companies (E&P and oilfield service providers) in the start-up process in Brazil, including negotiation, analysis and “tropicalization” of model forms, negotiation of several agreements, personnel hiring and other relevant matters.
- Advised several national and international oil and gas exploration and production companies in connection with the qualification and bidding for exploratory blocks in the ANP Bid Rounds.
- Seconded in 2015 to a global leading provider of standard-specification offshore oil & gas drilling units.
- Advised the Mozambican National Oil Company on its projects in Mozambique’s Rovuma basin totaling USD 12 billion.
- Advised the Chinese National Oil Company on its projects for exploration of natural gas in the Rovuma Basin Area 4 LNG Project, totaling USD 12 billion.
- Advised a major Brazilian construction company on several infrastructure deals in Mozambique and Angola, including a project to build a major dam in Mozambique, projects valued at USD 900 million.
- Advised a Brazilian construction company on a project to build a hydroelectric plant in South Africa, a project valued at USD 300 million.
- Advised a major Brazilian construction company on a bid to build infrastructure for Vale Mozambique, a project valued at USD 100 million.
The University of Chicago, LLM
University of California, Berkeley, Business Law Certificate (Mergers & Acquisitions)
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, MBA, Oil & Gas
Universidade Candido Mendes, Post-graduate Degree in International Law
Federal University of Minas Gerais, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Regional Manager, Chamber of Commerce Brazil-Mozambique – CCIABM
- Member, Association of International Energy Negotiators – AIEN
- Member, Minas Gerais State Bar – OAB/MG
- Member, Rio de Janeiro State Bar – OAB/RJ
- "Henrique Rojas is proficient in cross-border asset acquisitions and projects" – The Legal 500, 2024
- "Henrique Rojas stand out" – The Legal 500, 2024
- LACCA Approved – 2024: Voted by members of the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) as being among the region’s leading business lawyers recommended for Energy.
- Ranked as “Highly Recommended” in Energy at Latin Lawyer 250, 2024
- “Bruno Belchior, Victor Galante and Henrique Rojas are also integral figures here and, along with Chequer, come recommended in LACCA Approved” – Latin Lawyer, 2024
- LACCA Approved – 2023: Voted by members of the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA) as being among the region’s leading business lawyers recommended for Energy.
- Recognized as a "Recommended Lawyer" in Energy at Latin Lawyer 250, 2023