Daniel Rottenberg provides strategic counsel and legal services to clients on a wide range of complex matters involving environmental, toxic tort and administrative law.
Clients turn to Daniel for his extensive experience in the environmental sector, particularly in relation to litigation, enforcement-related issues, regulatory development, internal investigations, and crisis management.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Daniel clerked for the Honorable Lynn M. Egan and served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Environmental Bureau of the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, where he handled a number of high-profile enforcement and administrative law matters in state and federal courts. Daniel further developed his environmental law and policy expertise in the federal government at the US EPA Office of General Counsel and the US House of Representatives.
- Supported the representation of an American multinational corporation, in significant high-stakes litigation, which includes over 6,500 cases pending nationwide alleging personal injury, property damage and environmental harm associated with per- and polyfluorinated alkyl (PFAS) substances. The claims include statewide actions by various state attorneys general, the Aqueous Film-Forming Foam Multidistrict Litigation, and numerous additional claims.
- Assisted in the representation of a French transnational company, and its US subsidiary in connection with one of the highest-profile public water supply cases in the United States.
- Supported the representation of a major agricultural business in connection with potential federal enforcement.
- Successfully briefed and argued a complex Clean Air Act case in the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit area designations promulgated by the EPA for the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) applicable to ground-level ozone, i.e., smog.*
- Coordinated involvement of the Illinois Attorney General and State of Illinois in federal environmental legislative and multi-state litigation matters.*
*At the Attorney General’s Office
Lewis and Clark Law School, JD, magna cum laude
Submissions Editor, Environmental Law; Member, Cornelius Honor Society; Semifinalist, National Environmental Moot Court Competition, 2014 and 2015
University of Oregon, BA, with department honors
Dean’s Award for Service
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois