Dan Rosales is an associate in the Intellectual Property group of Mayer Brown’s New York office. His practice focuses on litigating copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secret and patent disputes in courts and arbitration tribunals across the country, as well as before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) and the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. Dan is a trial lawyer who has built a dynamic intellectual property practice following his first successful single-chair trial, which he secured early in his legal career. Dan has since continued to build a national practice and assisted trial teams in numerous complex intellectual property cases which have resulted in successful bench and jury verdicts.
Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Online Enforcement
Dan represents global food and beverage companies and branded and luxury consumer goods in connection with trademark, trade dress, and related Lanham Act disputes in federal courts throughout the US. Dan has also represented directors, new media companies, mini-major and major film studios, leading textbook publishers, media and technology companies in connection with Copyright and related matters.
Additionally, Dan advises clients regarding enforcement strategies and procedures related to trademark and copyright infringement on social media, content sharing and e-commerce websites, and he handles all aspects of related enforcement procedures, including take down requests and safe-harbor provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Prosecution, Strategy and Counseling
Dan assists in the management of the trademark portfolios of numerous clients and advises clients regarding clearance, preparation, prosecution and maintenance of domestic trademarks and copyrights. His experience includes preparing, filing and prosecuting trademark applications as well as counseling clients on trademark availability, procurement and protection, developing trademark use manuals and advising on trademark watch services and strategies.
Dan counsels clients regarding copyright protection, registration, clearance, and enforcement.
Advertising and Brand Management
Dan assists clients with developing advertising campaigns and in the selection and clearance of advertising slogans and materials. He also advises clients regarding right to publicity and privacy concerns as well copyright and trademark considerations, and consults clients regarding the use of materials on websites and social media pages in light of relevant copyright and trademark issues.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Dan was an associate at a prominent New York law firm and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Edward L. Chavez.
- Represented a premiere French interior and furniture design studio and its wholly owned subsidiary in a dispute involving copyright and trade dress infringement in Central District of California.
- Defended a documentary director against claims of trademark and copyright infringement pertaining to documentary film. Case remains pending in the Eastern District of New York.
- Successfully obtained preliminary injunction in favor of leading manufacturer of “smart beds” in connection with claims involving misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets, and dispute regarding ownership of patent applications. Case remains pending before the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented motion picture print and advertising financier in arbitration proceeding brought by famous documentarian related to documentary film covering the 2016 United States presidential election and presidency of Donald Trump based on alleged breach of a revolving line of credit loan agreement. The arbitration resulted in a settlement.
- Assisted in obtaining $10.6M judgment and injunctive relief on behalf of national non-profit organization after two-week trademark infringement jury trial in District of New Jersey.
- Won a preliminary injunction and judgment following trial on the merits on behalf of a Fortune 500 company in a dispute involving breach of contract and misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets.
Cornell Law School, JD
Occidental College, BA
- New Mexico
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US District Court for the District of New Mexico
- US District Court for the District of Colorado
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York