Hai Thao Nguyen is a counsel of Mayer Brown's Vietnam office. She has over ten years of experience advising clients in various sectors. Hai Thao's areas of practice include real estate, M&A, corporate/commercial matters, labour and intellectual property.
Prior to joining the firm, Hai Thao worked for international firms and headed the in-house legal team of RMIT University Vietnam.
- Advised clients on various aspects of land and real estate laws such as corporate structures and investment structures for real estate projects, land use planning, land clearance, property tax, zoning, construction, freehold and leasehold sale structures, conveyancing, property management and other real estate services for various types of properties, including residential, integrated resort, retail, commercial, new township, and mixed-use properties.
- Advised Takashimaya/Toshin on M&A structure and due diligence for its acquisition of the mixed use commercial building in Ho Chi Minh City CBD.
- Advised ACDL on the property/real estate work of its development of the US$ 4 billion integrated casino resort in Ho Tram, Ba Ria-Vung Tau.
- Advised a tourism/property development group from Europe in a joint venture with a local partner for the development of 50-ha resort project in Central Vietnam.
- Advised Hong Kong Land on its acquisition of prime location in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised Gaw Capital in financing structure with local partner for iconic new township development in Thu Thiem Peninsula, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised Australian-invested development company in its acquisition of a location in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City, for residential building development.
- Advised Keppel Land in a joint venture project with a local partner for new township development in Hanoi.
- Advised on FIDIC and AS construction contracts.
- Advised Banyan Tree in its sale structure of resort units in Lang Co, Thua Thien – Hue.
- Advised local hotel owner in its hotel management agreement with Hilton Group.
- Advised a foreign real estate property development fund in a dispute with its local partner.
- Advised manufacturing clients in acquiring and selling their plants.
- Advised in-house and external clients on various aspects of labour law, such as hiring of local and expatriate employees, employee termination, union, collective labour agreement, and employee benefits in ordinary course of business and in M&A transactions.
- Advised and represented US-based manufacturing client in termination of its corrupt managerial employee in Dong Nai factory.
- Advised and represented (with success) in-house client before local labor authority in a dispute with employee.
- Advised in-house client on tax and budget planning points to be built in the ILRs for compliance with labor and tax legislation.
- Advised in-house client on disciplinary measures and procedures against employees.
- Advised in-house and external clients on retrenchment plans.
- Advised and represented (with success) a client in garment industry before the authorities and their employees in a strike situation.
- Advise on various intellectual property and entertainment law issues such as copyrights and neighbouring rights in music, films, books, derivative works and other types of work concerning sport events, and privacy law issues for clients from the technology, software, and entertainment industries and clients owning luxury brands.
- Advised Warner Bros on its motion picture licensing agreements.
- Advised Intel, Altera and Renesas on IP licensing and protection.
- Advised MPAA on the development of the Cinematography Law and other legislation around the motion picture industry.
- Advised Yamaha on rights to use Vietnamese musical works.
- Advised Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Diageo in their campaigns against counterfeiting and parallel import.
- Advised a Hollywood celebrity in the use of her image in Vietnam.
- Advised UOB on its syndicated loan transaction of US$20 million for a mixed use commercial development project in District 7, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised Ageas on bancassurance regulations and negotiated JV agreement with MB for life insurance company.
- Advised a Europe-based life insurance company for the acquisition of its partner's shares in a JV life insurance company.
- Advised LDS Church on religious regulations for its operations in Vietnam and represented (with success) in obtain meeting permits for in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- Recommended - Corporate and M&A, Vietnam – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2022)