Daniella Raigorodsky Monteiro is a partner in the corporate/M&A, corporate governance and contractual law areas of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown in the São Paulo Office.
Daniella has vast experience in corporate law, having acted as counsel on a wide range of transactions involving private and public mergers and acquisitions, divestures and sale of businesses, corporate restructuring and corporate governance. She is also well-versed on project finance, where she advises in the planning, negotiation and closure of various structured operations.
Daniella's transactional practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions (equity and asset deals), formation of joint ventures and strategic alliances, primarily in the infrastructure, logistics and energy (generation, transmission, distribution) industries, with particular emphasis on cross-border transactions.
Daniella's corporate governance practice involves providing advisory services to boards of directors and management regarding a variety of corporate governance and related matters, including compliance with corporate laws and stock exchange rules, as well as consideration of shareholder’s agreement and other stakeholder relationships. She provides advice both in ordinary course of business settings, as well as in exceptional circumstances (e.g. situations involving possible changes of control, activist shareholder initiatives and possible changes to board or management composition).
She is a member of the Brazilian Institute of Corporate Governance (Instituto Brasileiro de Governança Corporativa – IBGC) and of the Brazilian Institute of Business Law (Instituto Brasileiro de Direito Empresaria – IBRADEMP).
Areas of Focus
Major Transactions (by year)
- Assisted Tractebel Energia S.A. (currently Engie) at the privatization auction of Centrais Geradoras do Sul do Brasil S.A. (Gerasul), which, totaling 3,700 MW of installed capacity, was the first large power generation state-owned company privatized in the country (1998-1999).
- Assisted Tele Norte Leste S.A. in corporate restructuring implemented for the purposes of incorporating all of the telcos of Telemar group after privatization (2000-2001).
- Assisted Globo Comunicação e Participações – Globopar in restructuring their debt (2002-2004).
- Assisted PETROBRAS in various project finance deals during 2006 and 2007, such as (i); a REVAP modernization project, which was awarded Latin America Deal of the Year 2006 – Project Finance International; (ii); Project financing (and refinancing) for pipeline construction for URUCU-MANAUS, MALHAS e GASENE.
- Assisted Terna Participações (Taesa) in the acquisition of the electricity transmission assets and in the debt restructuring process (2008-2010).
- Assisted the Mexican pharmaceutical company “Casa Saba” in the acquisition of the Drogasmil and Farmalife drugstore chains (2008-2009).
- Assisted Norsk Hydro in the negotiation of a joint venture with Vale for the construction of an alumina refinery in Pará (2008-2009).
- Assisted Mitsui, UTC Engenharia, Sembcorp and Petrobras, as project counsel, in the negotiation of investment contracts and partnership for the financing and construction of utility plants in the petrochemical complex COMPERJ (2010-2011).
- Assisted the Italian infrastructure Group Atlantia and its Brazilian subsidiary Autostrade Concessões e Participações Brasil with contractual, regulatory and corporate issues related to the creation of a joint venture of US$3.3 billion called AB Concessões S.A. (nowadays one of the largest road operators in the Brazilian infrastructure sector) (2012-2013).
- Assisted the hospitality chain, Hyatt, in the acquisition of land which included financial negotiations together with the BNDES (R$300mm) and the construction contracts for the Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro (2012-2013).
- Assisted Rex (hospitality company of Group X) in the sale of Hotel Gloria in Rio de Janeiro (2014).
- Assisted Federal Mogul (large auto parts company) in the negotiation and closing of a deal with TRW Automotive for the acquisition of their motor valve division (2014-2015).
- Assisted Polynt Composites, world leader in the composites market, in the negotiation and acquisition of the polyester resin division of the Total Group (2015).
- Assisted a group of investors during the competitive process of acquisition of equity participation held by Primav (CR Almeida) in Ecorodovias (and indirectly in its 17 holding subsidiaries of road concessions and urban mobility) (2015-2016).
- Assisted a group of investors interested in the acquisition of equity participation owned by OAS in INVEPAR, in the context of the judicial recovery of OAS (2016).
- Represented a power transmission company in the acquisition of seven operational power transmission concessionaires, whose controlling company was under a judicial restructuring process (2017-2018).
- Assisted Total S.A. in a complex cross-border transaction involving the acquisition of several upstream, midstream, downstream and power assets from Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras, in the amount of approximately USD 2.2 billion, including the acquisition of two operational gas thermo power plants (2017).
- Advised a power transmission company in the private auction for the acquisition of an operational power transmission concessionaire (2018).
- Advised Vinci Partners in the evaluation of certain energy distribution companies owned by the Brazilian state-run power company Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S.A. - Eletrobras – sold via public auction held in August 2018, as part of the privatization process of Eletrobras, as well as in the formation of the investment vehicle and in the analysis of all bid documents and in the evaluation of the key M&A and regulatory aspects taken into account when drafting the bid offers for the targets. (2018).
- Assisted ISA CTEEP (one of the top player in the Brazilian transmission sector) in the evaluation of 6 transmission lines owned by the Brazilian state-run power company Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S.A. - Eletrobras –sold via public auction held in September 2018, as part of the privatization process, as well as in the analysis of all bid documents and in the evaluation of the key M&A and regulatory aspects to be considered when drafting the bid offers for such transmission lines (2018).
- Represented Aena in the auctions related to privatization of the international airports of Porto Alegre, Florianópolis, Salvador e Fortaleza (2019).
- Assisted a power group in the evaluation of CEB Distribuição –sold via public auction held in December 2020, as part of the privatization process of Companhia Energética de Brasilia, as well as in the analysis of all bid documents and in the evaluation of the key M&A and regulatory aspects to be considered when drafting the bid offers for distribution company (2020).
- Advisory services for BrasilAgro (publicly-held company) in the process of acquiring Agrifirma Brasil Holding (2019).
- Advising Locaweb during the initial share offering process, focusing on compliance in the corporate and corporate governance areas applicable to companies listed on Novo Mercardo (2019-2020).
- Advising Austral Participações (an investment holding in the insurance and reinsurance sectors held by Vinci Partners, Banco IFC and Grupo Plural) in the process of a corporate reorganization and of the shareholders' renegotiation agreement (2020).
- Advising a group of sellers in the process of selling their equity stakes in the healthcare industry to DNA Capital (2020-in progress).
Pro Bono Work
- The Nature Conservancy/TNC (the world's leading nature conservation organization): legal assistance regarding the evaluation of potential investments in targets or projects by TNC (Brazil). The scope of work mainly consisted on carrying out legal due diligence (i.e., corporate, tax, labor, social security, real estate, contracts, etc) and issuing the relevant DD reports on the targets and/or related projects.
- Children’s Italian hospital: legal assistance in drafting and negotiating certain technical cooperation agreement between such Italian hospital and a children’s hospital located in Rio de Janeiro.
- Global Food banking/GFN (a global not-for-profit organization dedicated to alleviating world hunger through food banking): legal assistance relating to the analysis of certain SESC project, called “Mesa Brasil”, which is an unincorporated division of SESC with a robust foodbanking operation, in view of the interest of SESC to go forward with an application for membership of GFN.
- Il Sorriso dei miei bimbi (NGO working in the field of child and youth education in the largest “favela” in South America, Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, supporting actions against poverty and neglect): constant legal assistance on corporate related matters (i.e. drafting amendments to the bylaws and other related documents to comply with legal and investors requirements).
- Centro Social de Educação e Cultura da Rocinha (NGO supporting education of unfortunate children living at Rocinha’s neighborhood): ongoing legal assistance on corporate related matters (i.e. drafting amendments to the bylaws and other related documents to comply with legal requirements).
Saint Paul Business School, Advanced Boardroom Program for Women (ABPW) Post-MBA Program, the first female-specific counselor training course taught by Saint Paul School of Business
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Post-Graduate Degree in Corporate Law
University of Cambridge, Specialization in Trust, Corporate and Project Finance
Universidade Mackenzie, São Paulo