Kieran McLaughlin is an associate in the Projects group in the Singapore office of Mayer Brown. Kieran has experience of advising clients in relation to a range of oil and gas and LNG matters including M&A and project developments. Kieran has advised companies on projects, acquisitions and disposals throughout Asia, Africa and the UK.
Kieran has experience working on LNG transactions and is currently drafting and negotiating a long-term LNG SPA for a confidential North Asian client. He has also advised PV Gas in connection with a long-term LNG sale and purchase agreement with a confidential LNG seller.
He is currently advising CLP in relation to the Hong Kong LNG Project, including drafting and amending an FSRU time charter party agreement and Summit Corporation in connection with the procurement of an FSRU for its LNG import project in Bangladesh.
In addition, Kieran advised H-Energy in connection with the procurement of an FSRU for its LNG import project on the west coast of India, including advising on the regasification services agreement, LNG time charters and associated advice.
He has also advised a confidential FSRU owner in connection with its bid for a confidential FSRU/LNG import project including drafting and amending a bespoke bareboat charter and operation and services agreement.
Kieran has always worked closely with the commercial teams at his clients, and previously spent some time on secondment to a multinational service sector company.
LNG Import Projects
- Advised H-Energy in connection with the procurement of an FSRU for its LNG import project on the west coast of India, including advising on the regasification services agreement, long term LNG sale and purchase agreements and LNG time charter arrangements.
- Advising CLP in connection with the Hong Kong Offshore LNG project, including drafting and amending the FSRU time charter party and regasification services agreement, multi-user terminal use agreement, and port services agreement.
- Advising a confidential client in connection with its bid for a confidential FSRU/LNG import project including drafting and amending a bespoke bareboat charter and operation and services agreement.
- Advising a confidential FSRU owner on its bid to provide an FSRU in connection with the First Gen FSRU/LNG import project in the Philippines.
- Advising Summit Corporation Limited in connection with the procurement of an FSRU for its LNG import project in Bangladesh, which included advising on the terminal use agreement and implementation agreement, the FSRU time charter agreement, and also the EPC Contract.
LNG Sale and Purchase Agreements
- Advising a confidential North Asian buyer in connection with a long-term LNG procurement tender, which has involved negotiating with a number of major LNG portfolio players and LNG trading companies.
- Advising PV Gas in connection with a long-term LNG sale and purchase agreement with a confidential LNG seller.
- Advising PV Gas in connection with the drafting and amending of a bespoke heads of terms tender to be sent out to LNG suppliers.
Energy M&A Experience
- Acted for OMV on its agreement to establish a 50:50 joint venture with Malaysia-based major independent oil and gas company, Sapura Energy Berhad. The total enterprise value of the deal is $1.6 billion. Kieran was part of the deal team on the ground in Malaysia who completed this transaction.
- Advised the Korean National Oil Corporation on the divestment of its stake in the Tolmount gas project in the UKCS.
- Advised a UKCS new entrant on an innovative deal structure involving a royalty agreement.
- Acted for a confidential PE fund on its proposed acquisition of 43.1% of the shares in North Sea Midstream Partners from Wren House.
- Advised an international operator on the disposal of a number of producing UKCS assets.
Corporate Energy – Upstream
- Carried out commercial review and analysis of decommissioning/abandonment drafting in asset agreements (JOAs, UUOAs and SPAs) for both current and historic assets of a multinational E&P company to drive decisions on commercial rationale for asset retention/disposal and risk mitigation.
- Advised an international oil and gas company in relation to the main risks associated with an FPSO contract in the North Sea.
- Acted for a confidential E&P company on its proposed entry into joint bidding arrangements to acquire interests in UKCS licences.
- Acted for a confidential client in relation to its decommissioning arrangements in respect of UKCS assets.
- Advised Antin Infrastructure Partners on the sale of Kellas Midstream to a consortium of BlackRock, a leading institutional investor, and GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund.
- Advised iCON Infrastructure on its acquisition a leading Irish specialist care provider, Nua Healthcare. Responsible for negotiating the W&I insurance policy as well as drafting and negotiating transaction and equity documentation.
- Advised Mid-Europa Partners on its sale of Walmark to STADA AG. Responsible for preparing signing packs and signing checklists and managing local counsel in respect of a disposal which arose due to Hungarian competition authority requirements.
University of Aberdeen, Diploma in Professional Legal Practice
University of Aberdeen, Master of Laws, Oil and Gas Law
Glasgow Caledonian University, Bachelor of Laws
- Former Vice President, Energy Institute Young Professionals Network
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators