William Lee is an associate with the Banking & Finance team. William represents issuers, underwriters, lenders, mortgage servicers, investment banks, investors, funds and rating agencies in the securitization and financing of various classes of assets in the structured finance market.
William is highly involved in diversity endeavors, particularly within the Asian-American community. He is the Vice Chair of the Asian-American Bar Association of New York (AABANY) Student Outreach Committee and actively mentors dozens of students. In conjunction with AABANY, he founded its “Student Leaders” and “Students Meet Mentors” programs. William is a common fixture at the AABANY “roadshows” program, speaking annually at over fifteen law schools. Most recently, William was featured as a distinguished panelist for Columbia Law School APALSA’s 2021 Annual Conference, “Writing Your Own Script.” William co-supervised Columbia Law School and AABANY’s first Student Pro Bono Caravan.
William is also highly involved in pro bono endeavors, having organized and moderated a small-business COVID-19 relief presentation series. He also created AABANY’s Pro Bono Student Task Force and has been instrumental in leading COVID-19-related web content, social media and door-to-door campaigns. William was a frontline volunteer for the Korean Community COVID-19 Pro Bono Hotline, which was composed of six attorneys who provided SBA loan, unemployment and mortgage relief to over six hundred Korean speakers. William today works against anti-Asian violence with his students.
- Represented client, as lender’s counsel, in a $1.5 billion repurchase facility of EBO residential loans.
- Represented client, as borrower’s counsel, in a reference spread transaction in connection with the acquisition of $597 million of MSRs.
- Represented the sponsor and issuer in a master trust structure for the financing of Ginnie Mae mortgage servicing rights.
- Represented client, as lender’s counsel, in a $750 million repurchase facility of residential loans.
- Represented client and its newest fund, as borrower’s counsel, in a $250 million repurchase facility of residential mortgage loans.
- Represented the sponsor and issuer in the securitization of agency servicing advance receivables.
- Represented a borrower in a $30 million repurchase agreement backed by a debtor-in-possession loan.
- Represented an investment bank in the structuring, negotiation, and issuance of variable funding notes and term notes backed by Ginnie Mae mortgage-servicing rights and the related $500 million excess spread.
- Represented client, as lender’s counsel, in a simultaneous $350 million full recourse repurchase facility and $400 million non-recourse repurchase facility of EBO residential loans.
- Represented a lender in a $100 million secured loan in a collapse and repurchase facility transaction involving multiple trusts, offshore investors, and other special-purpose vehicle entities.
- Represented a lender in an innovative warehouse facility structure backed by $100 million of SBA 504 loans.
- Represented client, as lender’s counsel, in a $115 million repurchase facility of commercial loans.
- Represented client, as borrower counsel, in a $250 million repurchase facility of non-QM residential loans.
- Represented client, as borrower’s counsel, in a $150 million repurchase facility of residential mortgage loans.
- Represented client, as opinion counsel, in a $300 million repurchase facility of residential mortgage loans.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the issuance of unsecured and nonguaranteed notes, some of which were issued through Freddie Mac’s Structured Agency Credit Risk program.
- Represented Ginnie Mae in its capacity as guarantor in the securitizations of single-family and reverse-mortgage loans.
- Represented a lender with renewals and amendments for over 15 repurchase facilities backed by billions of dollars of residential-mortgage loans.
- Represented a rating agency in Dodd–Frank compliance matters.
New York University School of Law, JD
Cornell University, BA
- New York
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Student Outreach Committee, Vice Chair
- Student Leaders Program, Founder and Director
- APALSA Roadshow Program, Speaker
- Legal Referral Information Service, Committee Member
- Pro Bono and Community Service, Committee Leader
- Columbia Law School APALSA 2021 Annual Conference: “Writing Your Own Script”, Distinguished Panelist
- Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, Member