Mei Ling Lew is a partner of Mayer Brown. She is experienced in litigation, arbitration and mediation with an emphasis on disputes arising from building construction projects. She also advises on environmental regulatory and compliance issues, non-contentious construction matters, including preparation and drafting of tender and contract documentation. She also has experience in public/administrative law cases. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb), a Mediator on the General Panel of HKIAC Mediators, a member of the Business Environment Council's Sustainable Living Environment Advisory Group and Circular Economy Advisory Group, and an associate member of The Institute of Quarrying.
- Advising a public body on the collapse of a building and on technical, insurance, and other issues arising therefrom, potential enforcement proceedings and prosecution by the relevant authority and potential proceedings to be commenced in due course against party/parties in default.
- Advising a leading charitable organisation on the collapse of a heritage building and on technical and other issues arising therefrom, potential enforcement proceedings and prosecution by the relevant authority, and potential proceedings to be commenced in due course against party/parties in default.
- Advising a leading charitable organisation in relation to defective design and works at a training centre project in the PRC.
- Advising as part of a multi-jurisdictional team an executor of an estate in Hong Kong in relation to environmental contamination proceedings brought by foreign authorities against the estate in the foreign jurisdiction.
- Advising a blue chip developer in relation to latent defects found on the stone façade of a commercial development and potential causes of actions against various parties including consultants, contractors, suppliers etc.
- Acted for a major PRC state-owned construction company in the Commission of Inquiry on excess lead found in drinking water in public rental housing developments in Hong Kong, including advising on various contractual issues and expert evidence input from various disciplines including health, water quality etc.
- Acted for a quarry contractor in an arbitration in relation to its claims exceeding HK$100 million including loss and expense claims, disruption costs, a loss of profits claim etc. The claim also involved expert evidence input from various disciplines including delay analysis, quantum, geology/construction material/concrete and quarry management. Also advised the quarry contractor in relation to mediation following an agreed stay of the foregoing arbitration, which stay was lifted following the conclusion of the mediation.
- Advised on a fire that occurred at a mini storage facility located in an industrial building and ancillary issues arising therefrom.
- Advised an overseas manufacturer in relation to the potential contraventions of Waste Disposal and other environmental regulations in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a listed company in an UNCITRAL model law arbitration in relation to a breach of contract claim for US$54 million. The claim also involved expert evidence input from a U.K. forensic accountancy expert and Chinese law experts. The seat of the arbitration was Hong Kong while the governing law was Chinese law.
- Acted for a specialist piling contractor in a successful High Court proceeding in relation to variation claims made against a main contractor in a Hong Kong Housing Authority project. The claim involved expert evidence input on piling design and quantum issues.
- Acted for a specialist contractor in an arbitration in relation to re-rating and variations claims made against a main contractor in a Government water rehabilitation contract. The claim involved expert evidence input on quantum issues.
- Advised a design build and operate contractor in relation to its sludge treatment facility on various issues including environmental, contractual and other issues.
- Advised a gold mine owner in relation to design and claims issues arising out of landslips in Indonesia. The claim involved expert evidence input from an engineer with geotechnical and seismic expertise.
- Acted for a hotel owner in multiple parallel proceedings at the High Court in relation to, inter alia, breaches of covenants, breach of occupation permit and other ancillary issues. These proceedings involved expert evidence input from various disciplines including valuation and hotel consultants.
- Advised a major developer on various matters including claims arising out of a window lock system of a commercial development, defective glass windows against a specialist façade sub-contractor in a commercial development and potential prosecution with respect to an alleged excavation without a valid excavation permit.
- Acted for a service apartment developer in relation to potential breaches of warranties and contract, and extensions of time claims by the main contractor.
- Advised a major developer in relation to breaking glass incidents at a luxury residential development due to nickel sulphide issues, including instructing glass experts from the U.K.
- Acted for a major developer and land owner in a judicial review with respect to Government’s lease policy governing a cruise terminal at a major shopping area in Tsim Sha Tsui.
- Acted for a major developer and land owner in Causeway Bay and Wanchai in judicial reviews with respect to various restrictions (including building height, development potential etc) imposed in draft Outline Zoning Plans. These proceedings involved expert evidence input from various disciplines including environmental, planning, design/architecture, and valuation.
- Advised an aggregate and concrete company on various matters including town planning, environmental, and land issues in the context of the setting up of a concrete batching plant near a residential development, amendments to its standard form contract etc.
- Advising owners in relation to the preparation and review of tender documents and construction contracts for hotels, schools and office developments.
The Australian National University, LLB
- Hong Kong
- Associate Member of The Institute of Quarrying
- Ordinary Member of the Business Environment Council (BEC) Sustainable Living Environment Advisory Group
- Ordinary Member of the Business Environment Council (BEC) Circular Economy Advisory Group
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Up and Coming - Construction (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Leading Individual - Construction, Hong Kong – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2022)