Nancy is a partner of Mayer Brown. She advises on real estate litigation (including urgent interlocutory injunctions to remove obstructions and interference caused by unknown wrongdoers, dispute relating to sale and purchase of properties, compulsory sale applications, interpretation of government lease, adverse possession claims, tenancy disputes, resolving title issues and building management disputes), claims for banks, bankruptcy and liquidation-related litigation, PRC related disputes, probate disputes, commercial disputes and arbitrations, cross border disputes and judicial review proceedings. She represents property developers, banks and financial institutions, liquidators, statutory body corporate, individuals, corporations as well as Mainland China enterprises.
Nancy is a qualified mediator in the panel list of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited. Nancy speaks English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Represented the majority owners in successfully obtaining orders for sale of various lots for redevelopment under the Land (Compulsory Sale for Redevelopment) Ordinance, including lots in:
- Kennedy Town at a reserve price of HK$750 million and also successfully dismissing the minority owners' appeal on the order for sale to the Court of Appeal and Court of Final Appeal
- Wanchai at a reserve price of HK$1,620 million
- Tsimshatsui at a reserve price of over HK$352 million
- Shaukeiwan at a reserve price of HK$1,401 million
- Represented the property owner in obtaining an interlocutory injunction against unnamed persons described by acts to clear obstructions blocking the vehicular and pedestrian access to CITIC Tower as a result of the Occupy Central/Umbrella Movement in Hong Kong. The claim is based on both public and private nuisance. We are the first law firm to obtain and successfully execute the injunction order against the protesters in the Occupy Central/Umbrella Movement. This is a landmark decision in Hong Kong setting down new laws, including clarifying the law relating to civil disobedience as a defence and invoking the law of criminal contempt in a civil claim upon the defendants’ deliberate flouting of the injunction order of the Court undermining the administration of justice and involving the assistance of the Hong Kong Police in the enforcement of a civil order, setting precedent to be followed in subsequent applications.
- Represented the developer in successfully obtaining an injunction order against various defendants including an unnamed "7th defendant" (described by conduct) from obstructing the right of way and trespassing the construction site, and in dismissing the appeal of one of the defendants. This is a landmark decision in that this is the first case in Hong Kong on the granting of an injunction order against defendants (7th Defendant), who are described by conducts and not names. This has been a controversial and subject matter of challenge by the defendants and both the court of first instance and court of appeal endorse its use in appropriate circumstances.
- Represented various major developers in successfully obtaining the required orders from the court to resolve title issues of various properties or redevelopment projects.
- Represented various land owners and corporations in advancing or defending adverse possession claims.
- Represented the developer in successfully dismissing a claim of over HK$18 million with costs from its former solicitor for loss of profit.
- Represented the vendor in successfully claiming over HK$5.5 million of damages plus interests and costs against a defaulting purchaser who alleged dementia of its director when signing the agreement for sale and purchase and in dismissing its appeal.
- Represented 15 purchasers in an action against a developer for breach of the agreement for sale and purchase in failing to complete the development by the prescribed time and successfully recovered the sum of approximately HK$66 million plus interests and costs, and at the same time dismissed the developer's counterclaim against the purchasers for conspiracy.
- Represented a bank in a series of recovery actions against its customers which involved an officer's improper acts (raised in the defence) which were beyond the power granted by the bank and successfully obtained money judgment and possession order on all mortgaged properties against the customers.
- Represented and advised a financial institution on a cross border recovery action and realisation of securities in Hong Kong, PRC and Macau involving loans in the principal sums of US$100 million and HK$400 million.
- Represented major banks in enforcing its securities and rights and successfully obtaining the necessary judgment/order and recovering the debts from their customers through enforcement of the judgment/order.
- Involved in the liquidation of a state owned enterprise in PRC.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong, LLB
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association