“Extremely experienced in the arbitration field, and is responsive and pragmatic. He is very involved, which shows that he is client-focused and he manages his team well."; “He is able to bring in his vast knowledge and experience and provide his clients with very solid and practical solutions to the challenges at hand."; “Is an excellent lead counsel for complex international commercial arbitrations."Chambers USA
B. Ted Howes is a partner in Mayer Brown's New York office and is the Head of the firm's US International Arbitration Group. His practice focuses on complex cross-border commercial disputes.
Ted has more than 30 years of experience representing clients in international arbitrations in the United States and abroad. He has acted as lead counsel in dozens of cases under all of the major international commercial arbitration rules, including the ICC, ICDR, HKIAC, SIAC, LCIA and UNCITRAL Rules. Ted has arbitrated cases under a variety of applicable laws and has particularly deep experience representing clients in international disputes involving Chinese companies. Ted is individually ranked as a leading international arbitration practitioner by Chambers USA. He has also been recognized by The National Law Journal as an "ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) Champion" and by The Best Lawyers in America® for professional excellence in International Arbitration – Commercial. Ted has been recognized by Legal 500 2021 as “a skilled advocate, who is passionate and driven to achieve results for his clients, in an ethical and professional manner, and is well-versed in international arbitration procedures and protocols.”
Ted is a member of the ICC’s Commission on Arbitration in Paris, a member of the Advisory Board to the Institute for Transnational Arbitration, and an active international arbitrator. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has been appointed to the Panel of Arbitrators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the American Arbitration Association, the Singapore International Arbitration Centre, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, and the Beijing International Arbitration Centre. Ted is also an authority on drafting arbitration provisions for complex international commercial contracts.
In addition to his international arbitration experience, Ted has substantial experience representing foreign and US corporations in US commercial litigation, usually involving cross-border disputes. He routinely appears before the federal and state courts of New York in connection with his litigation practice.
Ted is a frequent speaker and writer on international arbitration and related international legal issues.
Ted is fluent in English and conversational in French and Spanish.
A representative sample of Ted's experience includes:
- An arbitration award granting a Swiss multinational client the right to terminate a license agreement in the Middle East 13 years before the expiration date of the contract, and denying a $71 million counterclaim against the same client, following a two-week evidentiary hearing conducted in London under the ICC Rules of Arbitration.
- An arbitration award ordering the Spanish seller of an environmental services company to pay a $5.5 million purchase price adjustment to the US purchaser, and dismissing all of the seller’s counterclaims, following a hearing conducted in New York under the ICC Rules of Arbitration.
- An arbitration award ordering one partner of a foreign manufacturing joint venture to pay $38.4 million in damages, plus attorneys’ fees and costs, to the US partner, following a week-long arbitration hearing conducted in Singapore under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- An arbitration award ordering the Chinese partner of a textile joint venture to make the joint venture's books and records available for an audit by the US partner, in an arbitration conducted in Singapore under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- An arbitration award directing the minority shareholders of a Chinese company to transfer a majority of the company's stock to a US private equity client, following an arbitration hearing conducted in Hong Kong under the rules of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- An award of over $2.4 million to the US subsidiary of a German company, as well as an award of the legal fees incurred by the client, following a AAA arbitration hearing in New York, in a case involving the breach of an indemnification provision in a stock purchase agreement.
- A summary judgment victory for a Korean client in a New York state court action, in which the Supreme Court ordered the defendant to pay the client over $110 million in damages on a loan guaranty, as well as to reimburse the client's legal fees.
- The dismissal of claims totaling more than $10 million against a Korean client following an ICC arbitration held in London, in a case that involved the termination of a Korean distributorship by a major US apparel company
- An award of $36 million to a French company (and the dismissal of $30 million in counterclaims against the same client) following an ICC arbitration held in New York, in a case involving breaches of representation and warranties in an aircraft-component company acquisition agreement.
- The dismissal of claims in excess of $4.5 million asserted by a French glassware distributor against a New Jersey glassware manufacturer, as well as the award of all attorneys’ fees and costs, following a week-long ICC arbitration in Zurich, Switzerland.
- A summary judgment victory in a New York federal court action, in which claims in excess of $50 million, asserted by a consortium of multinational banks, were dismissed against a Korean company.
Harvard University, BA
Harvard Law School, JD
- New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Member of the Bar of the State of New York
- Member of the Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association
- Member of the International Arbitration Club of New York
- Ranked individually by Chambers USA for International Arbitration
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® for professional excellence in International Arbitration – Commercial