Julio Barboza helps clients with both transactional and contentious matters related to infrastructure projects, notably in the context of concessions and PPPs. Julio has acted on the development of a number of projects in a wide range of industries, including transportation, water and sewage, energy, and urban mobility.
- Advised BNDES on structuring the privatization of Eletrobras through a R$33.1 billion share sale, the second largest privatization in Brazilian history.
- Advised BNDES on structuring the privatization of Companhia Mineira de Trens Urbanos (CBTU-MG), the first project developed by BNDES in the urban mobility sector.
- Advised Copel on structuring its privatization process through a R$5.21billion follow-on public offering.
- Represented a major energy company in the negotiation of a number of EPC contracts in connection with its participation in a electric power transmission lines bidding procedure.
- Advised a global electromobility player on structuring a PPP project for the supply and maintenance of an electric buses fleet and its charging infrastructure, the first electromobility project of this kind developed in Brazil.
- Advised one of Brazil’s largest infrastructure groups on the bid for the concession of federal highways comprised in the Triângulo Mineiro Complex and the Sul de Minas Complex, with an estimated investment value of R$ 5.6 billion.
- Advised a major energy company on its participation in a number of public lighting services PPPs bidding procedures.
- Advised BNDES on structuring Furnas Centrais Elétricas’ real estate divestment plan, comprising over 230 assets.
- Advised a number of municipalities on structuring water and sewage concession projects after the enactment of the Basic Sanitation New Regulatory Framework.
- Advised a consortium of municipalities on structuring a waste-to-energy concession project.
- Represented an airport concessionaire from a major European infrastructure group in the successful dismissal of a cease-and-desist order filed to prevent it from operating one of its concession’s most important infrastructures, in the context of an ongoing litigation involving the former airport operator and the Federal Government.
- Advised a global solid waste company on the development of a PPP for solid waste management services in Brazil.
- Advised a railway concessionaire in a administrative procedure to postpone investments estimated at R$5 billion due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Russia-Ukraine War.
- Represented a public lighting concessionaire in several lawsuits and administrative proceedings to ensure its right to execute a PPP agreement it was awarded, after the granting authority refused to do so and launched a new bidding procedure to hire the same services.
- Advised a global China-based construction company on its participation in a number of highway concessions bidding procedures.
- Advised a major European infrastructure group on its participation in the 6th round of airport concessions.
- Advised a global investment group on its participation in the privatization auction of an electric power transmission company.
- Advised a major Brazilian infrastructure group on structuring of a PPP for two urban arterial roads in São Paulo.
- Advised BNDES on structuring the privatization of Companhia Docas do Espírito Santo (CODESA), Brazil’s first port privatization.
- Advised a public transportation group on structuring a bus terminal PPP in Brazil’s Federal District.
- Advised a public transportation group on structuring a subway concession in Brazil’s Federal District.
- Advised a major Brazilian infrastructure group on possible structures for a PPP to depollute São Paulo’s largest rivers.
- Advised a public transportation trade association in developing a best practices guide and reference drafts of request for proposal and concession agreements for public transportation concessions.
- Advised a consortium formed by a major Spanish infrastructure group and an airport operator on its participation in the 4th round of airport concessions.
University of São Paulo (USP), PhD, (ongoing)
The University of Chicago, LLM
University of São Paulo (USP), LLB (JD equivalent)