Scott Buser is a partner in Mayer Brown’s California Real Estate practice. He has substantial experience in counseling clients on the acquisition, financing and development of property for office, retail and industrial purposes, in representing equity investors in joint venture arrangements and in assisting foreign investors with in-bound US real estate investments. Scott's experience also includes counseling clients on the acquisition of distressed debt, including portfolio recapitalization and the navigation of CMBS loan consent processes with special servicers and rating agencies. He represents portfolio, conduit and construction lenders in the making of loans for the development and redevelopment of retail, residential and office properties. Scott also negotiates office, retail and industrial leases for property managers, landlords and tenants.
Scott was named a Rising Star 2010 by Super Lawyers Magazine (Illinois Real Estate).
Scott joined Mayer Brown's Chicago office in 2007 and relocated in 2009 to the San Francisco Bay Area, where he practices out of its Palo Alto office and San Francisco satellite.
Joint Venture Investments
- Acquisition of Seattle, Washington warehouse, formation of joint venture with Panattoni Development Company and borrower representation in construction/redevelopment loan for affiliate of Prudential Real Estate Investors.
- Land acquisition, formation of joint ventures and construction financing of several ground-up multi-family rental assets in the Pacific Northwest for affiliates of The Carlyle Group.
- Formation of joint ventures for Principal Green Property Fund I, LP affiliates with LBA Realty, LLC, for the purpose of acquiring 550 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, California, PCCP, LLP, for the purpose of acquiring 705 5th Street South (Union Station), Seattle, Washington and Touchstone, Stewart and Boren for the purpose of acquiring a development parcel and financing the construction of an office tower in downtown Seattle, Washington.
- Acquisition of $400 million, four-asset office portfolio in Pasadena, California and San Diego, California for affiliate of Prudential Real Estate Investors.
- Acquisition of $545 million, 25 property, West Coast industrial and warehouse portfolio (approximately 7 million square feet) for affiliate of Heitman, LLC and related $220 million acquisition financing.
- Acquisition of vacant land and entitlements for Phase II of One Rincon Hill, San Francisco, California, a multi-family apartment development of 299 units for Principal Green Property Fund I, LP affiliate and borrower representation in $138 million construction to permanent loan.
- Acquisition and later disposition of 655 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, California for Principal Green Property Fund I, LP affiliate.
- Sale of Mission Bay, San Francisco, California property by Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., to Salesforce.com.
US Investments (Inbound)
- U.S. real estate counsel to Charter Hall Office REIT, an Australian listed property trust, in the $1.71 billion sale of its fourteen property (8.2 million square feet) office portfolio to an affiliate of Beacon Capital Partners.
- Formation of joint venture for Real Estate Capital Partners USA Property Trust with Saban Capital Group and acquisition of a 21-property GSA portfolio (2.1 million square feet), with concurrent acquisition of a distressed mezzanine loan.
Emory University School of Law, JD
University of Michigan, BBA
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Bay Area Mortgage Association