Bruna Barbosa is a senior associate in Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Tax and Private Clients, Trust & Estates practices. Bruna focuses her practice on advising US and non-US families, family offices, closely held businesses, financial institutions, fiduciaries and not-for-profit organizations on complex cross-border transactions.
Bruna regularly advises on strategies for minimizing US federal income and transfer taxation related to US inbound and outbound investments, including leveraged investments in US real estate, investment in funds and private equity, restructuring and treaty benefits. Bruna has significant experience with pre-immigration and mobility planning, asset protection, marital agreements, cross-border and cross-generational transfers of wealth, cross-border trust and estate administration as well as tax compliance and reporting. Bruna also advises not-for-profit organizations in a wide range of matters including, formation, administration, tax planning and compliance.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Bruna worked at elite international law firms in Zurich, Switzerland and Miami, Florida. As a Brazilian native, Bruna is fluent in Portuguese.
- Advised on contentious trust restructuring with over $20 billion in assets, involving assets and beneficiaries in more than five jurisdictions
- Advised executor of USD 100 million+ estate, involving assets and heirs in more than ten jurisdictions
- Advised entrepreneur on mobility and pre-IPO planning with assets over USD 30 million
- Advised large multi-family office on leveraged investment in commercial properties in the United States
- Advised single-family office with investments and beneficiaries in Europe, the United States, South America, and Asia.
- Advised trustee of non-U.S. trust with over USD 60 million of assets on tax and non-tax considerations and compliance after grantor’s death
- Advised trustee of non-U.S. trust with U.S. beneficiaries with over USD 100 million in assets
- Advised entrepreneur of FinTech start-up on wealth planning techniques where assets were expected to be valued in over USD 1 billion
University of Miami School of Law, JD, LLM, summa cum laude
University of Michigan, BA
- District of Columbia
- Not admitted in New York. Practicing under the supervision of firm principals.