"a superb marketer with deep technical expertise"Chambers UK 2019
Stuart Brinkworth is the head of Leveraged Finance in Europe and a partner in the Banking & Finance practice of the London office. He has a wealth of experience spanning nearly 150 deals in the mid market having been a partner in the City for over ten years. He focuses on acting for UK and international lenders (including credit and debt funds), sponsors and bidding consortia on a variety of UK domestic and cross-border leveraged finance transactions, including private equity-backed leveraged buy-outs, management buy-outs/buy-ins, public bids, corporate M&A and recapitalisations and has experience across all elements of the debt capital structure.
Stuart is highly-rated in the leveraged finance market and was at the forefront of the development of unitranche as a funding source in the European leveraged finance market including first out/second out structures. Stuart's experience spans a number of sectors, including healthcare, media, sport, real estate, financial services, business services, retail and leisure.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2018, he led the London finance practice of another large international firm.
- England and Wales
- New York
- Stuart Brinkworth is praised by clients as "a superb marketer with deep technical expertise." He has experience advising lenders and sponsors on domestic and cross-border leveraged finance matters. Chambers UK (2019)
- "The recruitment in June 2018 of the "excellent" Stuart Brinkworth from Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson (London) LLP is a major statement of intent for the firm, particularly in relation to the direct lending space." Legal 500 (2018)
- Described as "extremely well networked and experienced." Chambers UK (2015)
- Stuart earns strong praise for his leveraged finance practice with sources commending him for being "highly commercial" and someone who is "really good at focusing on the key points" while he has "built a wide network and is very knowledgeable in the market in general." Chambers UK (2014)
- Recommended for acquisition & leveraged finance. Legal 500 (2014)
- Recommended and commended for being "very well connected to the Private Equity mid-market." Legal 500 (2013)