'Rising Star'Legal 500 2021
Emma Sturt is a senior associate in the Banking & Finance practice of the London office. She joined Mayer Brown in 2014 as a trainee and spent six months on secondment to Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. during her training contract. Following one year of qualification Emma spent a further six months on secondment with the Real Estate Finance desk at Citibank N.A.
Emma has experience acting for banks, financial institutions and a variety of borrowing entities on a broad range of domestic, European and international finance transactions, with a particular focus on project and export financings. She also has experience in real estate finance, asset finance and cross-border securitisations.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Emma practiced for six years as a civil engineer, focusing on bridge and structural design. She worked on a number of international and UK-based projects such as the 2012 Olympics package and the Heathrow Terminal 4 redesign, where she spent a year on site gaining valuable commercial experience.
Emma is a member of the FEX UK organisation and sits on its working group. The organisation aims to provide a platform for younger professionals in export finance to network, enhances the FEX members’ knowledge of export finance and aims to promote export finance as a career option.
- Advised the lenders, including Societe Generale and BNP Paribas on the financing and development of Roxgold Inc.'s Yaramoko gold project in Burkina Faso ("Africa – Mining and Metals Deal of the Year 2015" IJGlobal Europe and Africa Awards).
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank on the grant of a US$3 billion facility to First Quantum Minerals Limited and a US$350 million facility to its subsidiary, Zambia-based Kansanshi Minerals PLC (owners of Africa’s largest copper mine).
- Advised the lenders, including Societe Generale and Investec on the US$75 million refinancing of the Macedonian SASA mine.
- Advised an international bank on a landmark EUR600 million first European securitisation together with a refinancing of its Asset Backed Lending facility.
- Advised the lenders, including Societe Generale and ING Bank N.V. on a US$180 million pre-export refinancing in relation to the borrower's Armenian mining operations.
- Advised Societe General, London Branch, Natixis, ING Bank, N.V. and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Sucursal en España, as mandated lead arrangers, to refinance a US$400 million senior secured facility for Minas de Aguas Teñidas (MATSA), a mining company based in Spain.
BPP University Law School, LPC
BPP University Law School, GDL
Durham University, Civil Engineering
- Member of the FEX UK organisation and sits on its working group. The organisation aims to provide a platform for younger professionals in export finance to network, enhances the FEX members’ knowledge of export finance and aims to promote export finance as a career option.
- Listed as a 'Rising Star' and a 'key lawyer' for Emerging Markets. Counsel Danuta De Vries and export finance associate Emma Sturt also play key roles in the practice. (Legal 500 2021).
- Part of the team led by Banking & Finance partner Ian Coles for the refinancing of the SASA mine in Macedonia deal which has been shortlisted for the 2017 IFLR European Awards.