"She has very good judgement and knows the market back to front."Chambers UK 2020
Susan Rosser is a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of the London office. Her practice focuses on disputes involving financial institutions, asset managers and investment advisers, complex financial products, regulatory investigations and enforcement (including FCA, SFO and Takeover Panel investigations), professional discipline, corporate investigations, business crime, fraud and asset recovery, bribery and corruption, and professional negligence claims.
Susan is known for her understanding of investment banking operations and the financial markets, which was enhanced by a secondment to a global investment bank. In addition, she has a particular interest in data privacy, legal privilege and disclosure.
- Acted for the majority vote of the ISDA Determinations Committee in respect to the External Review of whether there had been a credit event in respect of Novo Banco.
- Acted for a leading professional services firm in relation to a Takeover Panel investigation, enforcement and sanctions dispute.
- Acted for UBS in a US$400m multi-jurisdiction dispute with various counterparties relating to a complex CDO transaction: UBS AG (London Branch) & Anor v Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GMBH  EWCA Civ 1567; UBS AG (London Branch) & Anor v Kommunale Wasserwerke Leipzig GMBH  EWHC 3615.
- Acted for an asset manager in respect of a claim for professional negligence arising from the management of a portfolio of credit default swaps.
- Acted for a bank in relation to a claim against a service provider for fraud in relation to stored assets: Standard Bank Plc v (1) Via Mat International Ltd (2) Via Mat International (Hong Kong) Ltd  EWCA Civ 490.
- Acted for a Cayman hedge fund in a claim against the originator and servicer of residential mortgage backed securities (reported jurisdictional challenge: Cinnamon European Structured Credit Master Fund v Banco Comercial Português S.A.  EWHC 3381 (Ch)).
- Advised the liquidators of a Cayman hedge fund on the recovery of fraudulently misappropriated assets and claims against the fund’s officers and service providers through litigation and arbitration.
- Advised investors in credit-linked notes with regard to alleged manipulation by the arranger of the reference obligations.
- Advised the originator of European residential mortgage backed securities on a dispute with the securitisation arranger over the terms of a put option and swap relating to the residuals.
- Acted for a major investment bank in a US$60 m claim against an investor in a structured product created and marketed by the bank.
- Advised a global investment bank with regard to a UKLA sponsor supervision review.
- Conducted an internal review for a global investor in relation to its risk exposure in its activities in the CIS, including
exposure to corruption by foreign public officials.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a professional services firm in relation to an SFO investigation into the firm’s own client related to suspected corruption and money-laundering.
- Advised various individuals under investigation by the FSA in relation to suspected market abuse.
- Advised the directors of a financial institution under investigation by the FSA on the basis of alleged failure to comply with Statement of Principles for Approved Persons.
- Advised on an FSA investigation into alleged perimeter offences (carrying out a regulated activity without authorisation).
- Acted on a major claim against an investment bank arising from collapse of split capital investment trusts sector, including a related Court of Appeal application re s348 FSMA: Real Estate Opportunities Ltd v (1) Aberdeen Asset Managers Jersey Ltd (2) Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd (3) UBS Ltd  EWCA Civ 197.
The College of Law, Chester, CPEand LPC, 2002-2003 (Distinction)
University of Manchester, PhD
University of Manchester, BA (Hons) English
- Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience (Civil and Criminal Proceedings)
- The Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', Susan Rosser acts for clients including financial institutions and asset managers on a wide range of disputes. She has notable expertise in matters concerning securitisation and derivatives, as well as cases with professional negligence aspects. One source says: "She has very good judgement and knows the market back to front." (Chambers UK 2020).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Banking Litigation and Fraud, Susuan Rosser is a 'key member'. (Legal 500 2020).
- Susan Rosser has a wide-ranging financial litigation practice with experience in asset recovery, professional discipline and regulatory investigations. Sources praise her as "super-smart" and "very able and efficient." (Chambers UK 2019).
- Noted for acting in disputes involving complex financial products, regulatory investigations and enforcement as well as professional discipline, corporate investigations (including fraud and corruption), and professional negligence claims. (Legal 500 2018).
- Susan Rosser has a wide-ranging practice which encompasses litigation concerning asset management and investment issues, complex financial products and regulatory matters. Sources describe her as "technically very strong" and "an incredibly hard worker." (Chambers UK 2018).
- "quickly and efficiently assimilates the factual and technical material in a dispute". (Legal 500 2017).
- Susan Rosser receives praise for her expert handling of complex disputes. "She is incredibly clever, a very good details person and an excellent technical lawyer with regards to understanding the workings of the financial markets," report market sources. (Chambers UK 2017).
- She is noted for her "efficient assimilation of factual and technical material" (Legal 500 2016).
- Susan Rosser is developing a strong practice advising financial institutions and asset managers on complex derivatives disputes and other financial product litigation. Sources say she "has a very good grasp of the law." (Chambers UK 2016).
- Recommended (Legal 500 2015).
- Susan Rosser is an up-and-coming partner who focuses on litigation regarding complex financial products. Peers highlight "her good understanding of complex financial instruments." (Chambers UK 2015).
- Recognised as Rising Star by London Super Lawyers 2014.
- Chambers UK 2014 notes that she is one to watch.
- Ranked as a key individual, up-and-coming associate Susan impresses interviewees: "She is really quite outstanding. I give her the highest marks." (Chambers UK 2013).