Sarwenaz Kiani is counsel in Mayer Brown's Antitrust practice in the Düsseldorf and London offices. Being dual qualified Sarwenaz advises on a wide range of EU, German and UK antitrust law questions, including merger control, cartel investigations, contractual arrangements, as well as general competition law compliance. Sarwenaz has particular experience in relation to distribution agreements and investigations into vertical restrictions, advising in particular clients in the pharmaceutical as well as luxury and consumer goods industry. She also routinely represents clients in proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office, the EU Commission and the UK Competition and Markets Authority.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2021, she worked for a renowned international law firm in their London and Frankfurt offices as well as a stagiaire (trainee) at the EU Commission and in an international law firm in Paris.
- Advised BENTELER Group on the sale of its hot rolling mill in Shreveport, Louisiana, USA, by way of share deal to Tenaris
- Advised a global financial institution regarding multi-jurisdictional investigations (including EU, Germany and UK) into potential breaches of antitrust law*
- Advised a global investment management company regarding a cartel investigation and immunity application in the UK*
- Advised a global manufacturer of music instruments regarding an antitrust investigation in the UK*
- Advised ASICS in administrative proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office regarding their selective distribution system and in particular internet sales restrictions*
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on regulatory aspects of the formation of its new global consumer healthcare joint venture with Pfizer*
- Advised a global automotive manufacturer regarding the increase of its shares in a leading UK luxury car manufacturer and its UK merger control strategy*
- Advised Worldwide Vision Ltd regarding the merger control proceedings in respect to the sale of their subsidiary MagicLab owning several online dating apps to Blackstone*
- Advised Walgreens Boots Alliance Services on the sale of their cosmetics business line in relation to German merger control proceedings*
(*At previous law firm.)
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Higher Regional Court, Berlin
Master's Degree European Law, University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne)
First State Law Examination, Humboldt University of Berlin
- Listed as a key lawyer for EU and Competition (Legal 500 2023).
- “30 in their 30s notable women competition professionals in private practice” awarded by w@competition in Brussels in January 2017
- Alan Ragueneau, former legal director at Whirlpool EMEA S.p.a. praises Sarwenaz for: "Her expertise in the competition law field, her understanding of business reality, and her ability to provide answers that are extremely practical and directly linked to business reality." (Acritas Stellar Performance 2021 Stand-out Talent survey)