Stephanie Duchene is a partner in Mayer Brown's Insurance Industry Group. She focuses her practice on representing insurance companies, producers and other insurance licensees and insurance-related service providers in complex and sensitive regulatory matters, including negotiating and resolving significant single and multi-state examinations and investigations, counseling clients on compliance with licensing, claims handling, marketing and advertising rules and advising clients on the development of new insurance products from initial concept through regulatory approval and into the market. She advises clients on all lines of insurance, including accident, life and health, property and casualty, as well as surplus and excess lines. Additionally, she regularly counsels insuretech companies, traditional carriers and non-insurance entities on the intersection of insurance law and innovation in the industry.
- Advising insurance carriers, intermediaries and insuretech companies on regulatory compliance, governance, licensing, financial and market conduct examinations, Insurance Holding Company Act, privacy and data securities laws and current and prospective digital distribution matters.
- Advising insurance industry clients on a wide array of issues arising in the regulatory landscape that have developed during the COVID-19 pandemic, including coordinating with state regulatory department inquiries and complying with various updates to regulatory requirements.
Insurance Joint Ventures, Insuretech and Commercial Insurance Arrangements
- Assist mid- and late-stage insurtechs and/or strategic (re)insurer clients in building and expanding their commercial operations, including structuring, contract and regulatory work to establish program management, managing general agent, fronting insurance, reinsurance and distribution arrangements.
- Advise on compliance with state insurance regulatory laws and coordinate with state regulators, including with respect to products, distribution, formation and/or licensing of agents, captives and insurers/reinsurers.
Insurance Mergers and Acquisitions
- Various acquisitions and dispositions of insurance producers, third-party administrators and managing general agents, including:
- CNO in its acquisition of DirectPath, LLC.
- MetLife in its acquisition of PetFirst Healthcare, LLC.
University of California, Berkeley, 学士, Economics
加利福尼亚大学黑斯廷斯法学院, JD, magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- Editor of The Regulator, a publication of the Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society (IRES), 2014–present
- President of the Western Chapter of the Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, 2016
- Vice president of the Western Chapter of the Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals, 2015
- Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society (IRES)
- Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP)
- Rainy Day Pennies, Inc., Board of Director
- Los Angeles Bar Association