‘Chris Arnold is exemplary for CDS in particular and provides good market colour with quick, accurate and succinct responses on live issues with real execution/trading consequences.’ He is ‘experienced, practical and able to explain and deal with complex issues.’Legal 500 2022
Chris Arnold is a partner in the Banking & Finance practice of the London office.
Chris is an English solicitor and New York attorney with twenty years’ experience advising on financing and capital markets transactions, with a particular focus on derivatives and structured solutions.
Chris acts for the leading global investment banks, as well as other financial institutions, end users, trustees, service providers and industry groups. His practice encompasses derivatives, repos, securities lending, structured products and other risk transfer arrangements linked to rates, FX, corporate and sovereign credit, equities, commodities, funds, insurance risks, strategic indices and, most recently, ESG performance indicators (including several first-to-market green repos and ESG-linked swaps). He also advises on the cross-border regulation of OTC derivatives and legal risk management, including disputes and distressed situations.
A recognized thought leader, he has acted for the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) on numerous documentation, advocacy and education initiatives, as well as authoring industry-wide opinions on key legal issues underpinning the derivatives market. He is widely regarded as the leading credit derivatives lawyer, having drafted market standard trading documentation and advised on numerous key decisions of the Credit Derivatives Determinations Committees, including as advocate for the winning position in the only determination in Europe to be referred to external review (Novo Banco). He is a regular speaker on derivatives documentation and regulation and has presented at numerous events around the globe.
Chris is passionate about the promotion of diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession. He has campaigned for greater industry recognition of female and minority lawyers and leads Mayer Brown’s Aspiring Solicitors mentoring scheme in partnership with the legal department of a major global investment bank.
Chris joined the Mayer Brown partnership in 2010, having previously worked in the London and New York offices of another large international law firm, including on secondment to Goldman Sachs.
诺丁汉法学院, Legal Practice Course (Distinction)
University of Nottingham, LLB (Hons)
- Chris Arnold is skilled at assisting with derivatives transactions. His transactional knowledge is complemented by his understanding of deal-related regulatory requirements affecting both the EU and other jurisdictions. (Chambers UK 2022, Capital Markets: Derivatives).
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' and under 'Other key lawyers' ‘Chris Arnold and his team have a broad range of product coverage and I can confidently instruct them on complex structured deals involving any or all of repos, swaps and notes as well as pizza ordering for long working lunches. Other firms have more niche offerings and struggle to switch as fluidly between different products like this.’ ‘Chris Arnold is exemplary for CDS in particular and provides good market colour with quick, accurate and succinct responses on live issues with real execution/trading consequences.’ ‘Chris Arnold – experienced, practical and able to explain and deal with complex issues.’ (Legal 500 2022: Derivatives and Structured Products)
- “Highly regarded” by IFLR1000 in the UK for Capital Markets: Derivatives
- Chris Arnold is skilled at assisting with derivatives transactions. His transactional knowledge is complemented by his understanding of deal-related regulatory requirements affecting both the EU and other jurisdictions. "He is good commercially and technically." (Chambers UK 2021, Capital Markets: Derivatives).
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Derivatives and Structured Products and under 'Other key lawyers' for Derivatives and Structured Products and Emerging Markets. "Chris Arnold continues to be excellent on derivatives, including ancillary areas such as financial sanctions and emerging market issues." (The Legal 500 2021, Derivatives and Structured Products).