Oil & Gas
- Alliance pipeline project. We represented owners in arbitrations with various contractors regarding cost overruns, delays and other claims on lengthy segments of a 2,600-mile pressurized gas pipeline from Northern British Columbia to Joliet, Illinois.
- Angola construction dispute. We represented engineering design company in a dispute with a Korean construction company involving deficient design, construction and offset claims and terminating license of proprietary technology relating to an offshore oil rig in Angola.
- BASF. We successfully defended BASF AG and its subsidiary Wintershall AG in a multibillion dollar dispute with Moncrief Oil International Inc. in which Moncrief claimed it was excluded from the exploitation of the Jushno-Russkoye gas field in Siberia. Moncrief had claimed that BASF and Wintershall had encouraged Gazprom to ignore the various contractual obligations allegedly owed to Moncrief.
- Central Asian oil and gas joint ventures. We represented state-owned exploration, production and refining entities in three arbitrations under the auspices of the ICC Court of International Arbitration, sited in Houston and Stockholm. The arbitrations arose out of two joint ventures between host government entities and a foreign oil company for the exploitation of oil and gas properties. Remedies at issue included termination of the ventures, recovery of ownership of the fields involved and damage claims exceeding three billion dollars.
- Construction defects. We defended international bank as agent and issuing bank of syndicated project finance loan, in FAA arbitration in New York, including US federal court lawsuits related to enforcement of arbitration agreements involving claims for hundreds of million of dollars in alleged defects in construction and insurance claims from borrower’s construction of refinery tail gas processing plants in Louisiana.
- Construction delays. We represented industrial services company in claim against engineer for construction delays due to late engineering for expansion project at a gasoline refinery in California.
- Exxon Valdez oil spill. We successfully represented Exxon Mobil in its $2.5 billion appeal in connection of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. The US Supreme Court ruled that the $2.5 billion punitive damages award was excessive under maritime law and cut the award to $500 million.
- Fixed bill program. We successfully represented supplier of gas in a putative class action in which the plaintiff asserted Consumer Fraud Act claims arising from a "Fixed Bill" program for residential gas service.
- Gas feedstock. We won a substantial award on behalf of the Canadian owner of a major fertilizer plant in Alaska in ICDR arbitration and litigation in California state court against its supplier of gas feedstock arising out of the agreement for the purchase and sale of the plant and the related gas-supply contract.
- Kazakh oil fields. We represented an independent consulting firm in an ad hoc arbitration in Stockholm under UNCITRAL rules against a Canadian oil company for fees arising out of services rendered in connection with the acquisition and operation of an oil field in Kazakhstan.
- Latin American M&A dispute. We are representing the buyers in an international arbitration before the AAA/IDCR in New York in connection with a dispute arising from the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Peru.
- Latin America pipeline. We represented a gas transporter in Peru in an ICC arbitration against various gas providers with respect to the interruption of the gas supply line.
- Middle East pipeline. We are representing our client in a major ICC Arbitration proceedings against Saipem concerning the anti-corrosion coating of a gas pipeline between Qatar and Dubai.
- Residential services. We successfully defended a US supplier of residential gas in a variety of actions in different levels of the Illinois court system arising from spills of mercury in the homes of more than 1,000 residential customers. The actions included a class action, individual personal injury and property damage claims, enforcement actions brought by numerous governmental agencies, and recovery actions against contractors that spilled mercury while working for the company.
- China hydro claims. We acted as lead lawyers for the Ministry of Water Resources on claims of RMB 7 billion on a hydroelectric dam and power plant in Henan Province, China. Various aspects of underground tunneling were investigated and explored.
- European construction arbitration. We successfully represented engineering firm associated with an international energy company in an arbitration which provided detail design, construction management and procurement services to the EPC contractor of a cogeneration facility in the Netherlands against claims of malpractice, cost overruns and delays.
- European nuclear arbitration. We handled a series of arbitration/mediation matters—including one European arbitration—involving billions of dollars for the Nuclear Energy Division of a transnational company. These matters principally involved responsibility for the costs of repairing or replacing major components of nuclear power plants and consequential damages flowing from delay/downtime.
- North American nuclear plant dispute. We represented the supplier of four complete nuclear plants in the US against the owner’s claim that it was contractually responsible for various cost overruns and necessary modifications to the units. The claim, for about $250 million, was settled short of litigation, after an extensive voluntary ADR process between the two parties.
- Philippine ICC arbitration. We defended a major manufacturer against the Philippine government in a multiphase, ICC arbitration in Switzerland. Our client was sued for breach of contract, fraud and bribery in connection with its construction of a nuclear power plant in the Philippines. The arbitrators decided in our client’s favor.
- European biodiesel dispute. We advised the National Biodiesel Board in potential trade litigation by the European Biodiesel Board which has threatened widespread anti-dumping and countervailing duty complaints against US exports.
- Waste to energy power plant. We acted for insurers of EPC contractor in relation to claims that UK power plant failed to achieve minimum performance guarantee.
- Wind farm dispute. We are advising an international power generation company with respect to a dispute and potential arbitration arising out of multiple design/manufacturing failures.
- Wind farm litigation. We represented Horizon Wind Energy in its development of the 400 MW electric wind farm in Illinois known as Twin Groves. This representation included defending Horizon in litigation challenging the construction of the wind farm (with all claims which had the potential to negatively impact the construction of the project having been dismissed). The case also raised a number of issues of wider implication for the industry.