20 June 2012
On 29 March 2011, Law No. 65/2011/QH12 ("Law No. 65") on the amendment of and supplement to a number of articles of the Civil Proceedings Code No. 24/2004/QH11 ("CPC 2004") was promulgated by the National Assembly of Vietnam. Law No. 65, which came into full force and effect on 1 January 2012, has amended 50 articles, introduced 12 new articles and revoked 8 articles of the CPC 2004 in relation to the following fundamental issues:
- Legal time-limits for initiation of a legal action or lodgement of a petition;
- Jurisdiction of the People's courts;
- Rights and obligations of the parties in civil cases;
- Substantiation and obligation to provide evidence in civil proceedings; and
- Role of the People's inspectorates in civil proceedings.
This legal update provides an overview of the key amendments of and supplements to the CPC 2004 in accordance with Law No. 65.