“a superb reputation . . . on the US law aspects of high-profile equity and debt capital markets deals.” Chambers Global 2017
"Clients praise the 'experience, knowledge, dedication and negotiation skills' of dual France and US qualified Robert Flanigan." Legal 500 UK-Debt Capital Markets, 2016
Robert Flanigan is a Banking & Finance partner who regularly represents issuers and underwriters on Rule 144A/Regulation S private placements and SEC-registered offerings of a wide range of debt and equity securities. He has advised on some of the largest capital markets transactions in Europe, including the €4.3 billion IPO of Aena, the €2.4 billion IPO of Inditex; over €3.3 billion in offerings of high yield notes by Rhodia; and Barclays Bank plc in the creation and operation of its €10 billion Global Collateralised Medium Term Note Programme.
A sampling of the deals on which Robert has advised underwriters and issuers includes:
- IPOs – Euskaltel, Talgo, Naturhouse Health, Aena, Fadesa Inmobiliaria, Fluidra, General de Alquiler de Maquinaria, Snecma, Inditex, Antena 3 de Televison, Promotora de Informaciones, Credit Lyonnais, Transgene and Rhodia.
- Rights offerings – Entertainment One, Liberbank, NH Hoteles, St. Modwen, Rhodia, Lafarge and Alstom.
- Project bonds - Ausol, Autovía de la Plata (A66).
- Accelerated bookbuilt offerings – Euskaltel, Trebol/Abertis Infraestructuras, Liberbank, Banco de España/Bolsas y Mercados Españoles, Mutua Madrileña/Sacyr Vallehermoso, Grupo Rayet/Eiffage, Natixis/Gecina, Dana Gas/MOL and French State/Renault.
- Debt programmes – Barclays Bank plc, Alcatel and Rhodia.
- Exchange offers – Altice NV/SFR Group.
- Liability management - Novagalicia Banco, Caixa Económica Montepio Geral and Rhodia.
- Equity-linked offerings - Promotora de Informaciones, Aasystem, GFI Informatique, Rhodia and Thomson multimedia.
- High yield – Rhodia, Eutelsat and Grifols PIK preferred.
- Sovereign debt – Kingdom of Morocco and Republic of Congo.
Rob also represents foreign private issuers in connection with ongoing compliance with SEC and NYSE reporting obligations and advises clients regarding public disclosure obligations and corporate governance issues. He has advised private and public companies in M&A transactions in a variety of business sectors.
Rob joined Mayer Brown in 2008 and speaks French and Spanish, in addition to his native English.
Rob is a member of the New York Bar, an Avocat à la Cour in France and registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority as a Registered European Lawyer.