Mayer Brown is an international law firm with an established "on-the-ground" presence in Mexico, and having both international and local Mexican law energy and finance capabilities, fully dedicated to serving clients investing in Mexico's energy and infrastructure sectors. Our team of oil and gas and finance lawyers has substantial experience in handling oil, gas and power transactions under international standards and ability to negotiate global industry energy contracts in both English and Spanish.
Our experience in Mexico has grown over decades. In 2015, we continued our expansion into the region with the opening of an office in Mexico City, solidifying our position as a market leader in connection with Mexico’s energy reform.
Mayer Brown has a long and successful track record in working with international companies coming into Mexico. Guiding clients through their acquisitions outside of their home market takes not just transactional legal expertise, but also an extremely well judged approach to client service. Our fully integrated team will work closely with you, providing insights, solutions and expertise that other firms would struggle to present.
The firm’s Mexico City office has an exclusive focus on the oil, gas and power industry needs of our clients. Benefits we offer include:
- Detailed knowledge of Mexico’s new oil and gas legal and power frameworks, as well as substantial experience with similar legal frameworks in other Latin American countries, particularly Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru
- Deep experience in tender processes organized by the Mexican government, its regulatory agencies and operating companies, and the successful preparation and submission of bid proposals
- Highly refined skills in the negotiation and drafting of all commercial agreements related to the exploration and production of oil and gas, including license agreements, production sharing agreements, consortium agreements, joint bidding agreements, joint development agreements and joint operating agreements
- Highly refined skills in the negotiation and drafting of all commercial agreements related to power generation projects in a competitive environment, including fuel procurement and transportation, EPC and O&M contacts, and power sales agreements
- A team of skilled bilingual and bicultural lawyers with experience in international oil and gas and electric generation matters, including lawyers licensed to practice law in Mexico and in other jurisdictions in Latin America