21 August 2015
Mayer Brown announced today that the firm has been profiled by Law360 as a “Global 20” firm. Earlier, Mayer Brown was named to the list for the fifth consecutive year. The list recognizes the 20 law firms that had “the biggest global presence and handled the largest, most significant and groundbreaking international and cross-border matters over the past year,” according to the publication. Mayer Brown has been ranked every year since the list’s inception. View the article.
The firm’s significant global expansion over the last 15 years “has been entirely focused on the needs of our clients,” Mayer Brown Chairman Paul Theiss told Law360. “We’re not expanding globally for the sake of doing it. We’re expanding globally because that is what our clients need, and all of our expansion has been done in response to the demands of our clients.”
Law360 noted that Mayer Brown’s “ability to smoothly handle complex, multijurisdictional client matters” by using teams of Mayer Brown lawyers from multiple practice areas and offices around the world. The publication highlighted a number of recent matters, including:
- Representing Bermuda reinsurer Everglades Re Ltd. in a $1.5 billion offering of catastrophe bonds, the largest catastrophe bond offering in history;
- Counseling the Panama Canal Authority on the refinancing necessary to build a third set of locks, the heart of the $5.2 billion canal expansion project;
- Advising France-based Altice on its €7 billion bid to acquire Portugal Telecom;
- Representing Ecopetrol SA in its first African investment, its acquisition of Statoil ASA’s 10 percent participating interest in blocks located offshore of Angola;
- Advising Thomson Reuters Corp. on a global outsourcing deal; and
- Representing US-based Albemarle Corp. in securing antitrust clearance in eight global jurisdictions for a joint venture with Israel Chemicals Ltd.
Law360 provides lawyers and business leaders with daily coverage of litigation, legislation and regulation, corporate deals, major personnel moves and legal industry news and trends.