On 17 November 2014, Jonathan Hosie co-presented at a one hour live webinar on "Latest developments in international construction projects". The event was hosted by LexisNexis and is available to subscribers of its webinar series for 12 months. Jonathan addressed a number of topical issues, drawn from some important cases affecting international contracts which had been decided in 2014 by the English High Court. Matters covered included:
- Contractors sacrificing entitlement due to failure in the giving of timely claim notices under Sub-Clause 20.1 of the FIDIC suite of contracts.
- The possibility of postponing the requirement for Contractors' claim notices to a later date than suggested in Sub-Clause 20.1, in the context of extension of time claims.
- Tips for ensuring liquidated damages clauses remain valid and are not struck down as an unenforceable penalty.
- How to avoid perpetual references to the Dispute Review Board under FIDIC where one party refuses to comply with a DAB Decision.
- The effect of non-compliance by the Engineer with the procedure for issuing Determinations under Sub-Clause 3.5 of the FIDIC suite of contracts.
The webinar draws upon experience of international construction projects where Mayer Brown have advised one of the parties under the EPC contract.