"surely one of the brightest lawyers in London"Legal 500 2014
As one of the most senior partners in our London Banking & Finance team and as head of our London Banking & Finance Opinions Committee, Stephen Walsh has long experience of advising a broad range of clients in structuring and implementing many types of financings and other transactions.
In recent years, working closely with lawyers from our Derivatives and Structured Products and Insurance groups in London and the US, he has developed a particular niche in financial collateral law and practice. This has led to an increasing involvement in collateralised insurance, derivative and other structured transactions and collateral management arrangements acting for banks, insurers, pension trustees, custodians and collateral managers.
- Regularly advising one of the world's leading custodian/collateral management banks on different aspects of its triparty collateral management arrangements for major global financial institutions.
- Part of the Mayer Brown team supporting Barclays Bank in relation to its collateralised MTN programme financing its prime brokerage operation, including designing the UK collateral structure.
- Representing the trustees of the National Grid Electricity Group of the Electricity Supply Pension Scheme on the title transfer and fixed security collateral arrangements forming part of a fully intermediated longevity swap transaction with Zurich, covering pension liabilities worth more than £2 billion.
- Advising a European insurer on the overall structuring and collateral aspects of a confidential proposed (but ultimately abortive) transaction involving the cross-border reinsurance and retrocession of a portfolio of final expense insurance policies.
- Advising the trustees of the Total UK Pension Plan on a collateralised £1.6 billion buy-out in with PIC which covered pension liabilities for 6,000 pensioners.
- Acting for insurers and issuers on the collateral arrangements for numerous transatlantic catastrophe bond and other insurance linked security (ILS) transactions.
University of Oxford, BCL
University of Oxford, BA
Consistently ranked as a key individual by Chambers
- Stephen is "'surely one of the brightest lawyers in London'" Legal 500 2014
- He is "one of the best" Legal 500 2011.
- Clients say Stephen is "excellent for the complex transactions" and appreciate that his "proactive advice covers both the legal viewpoint and the practical aspects" Chambers & Partners UK Directory 2009.
- He "offers clear and detailed advice and has in-depth and detailed knowledge" Legal 500, 2008.
- He has been called "bright and capable" as well as "technically skilled" UK Legal 500 2006.
- He is praised as a "top-drawer lawyer technically, who takes time to get underneath the structure of the deal and make sure it really works" UK Chambers 2008.