Valerie Vanryckeghem is an associate in the Intellectual Property & IT Group, as well as the Technology & IP Transactions and Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practices of the London office.
Valerie advises clients on technology and outsourcing transactions with a particular focus on fintech, digital transformation and facilities management projects, as well as clients operating within a broad range of sectors on data protection matters and cybersecurity incidents, intellectual property transactions and related issues.
Valerie has acted for clients entering into many different types of technology and outsourcing transactions including:
- Facilities management agreements;
- Cloud agreements (including the licensing terms, data protection and regulatory requirements);
- Software development and licensing agreements;
- The implementation and integration of technology solutions;
- Agreements to develop, deploy and commercialise fintech and digital solutions;
- IT and business process outsourcings (ITO and BPO).
On intellectual property matters and issues, Valerie has represented clients on:
- The development, manufacture, licensing and commercialisation of technologies used in a wide range of sectors including financial services, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, media and entertainment, cybersecurity and consumer goods industries;
- The establishment, transfer and disposal of intellectual property focussed businesses and assets as part of corporate mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and other transactions.
On data protection and cybersecurity matters, Valerie typically advises clients on:
- Global projects to ensure multinational businesses comply with privacy laws worldwide;
- The requirements under current and upcoming UK and European data protection laws such as the Data Protection Act, GDPR, ePrivacy Directive and Regulation, NIS Directive and EU Cybersecurity Act;
- The required and appropriate measures to take when sharing personal data with third party partners and service providers;
- Projects to respond to cybersecurity incidents and comply with requirements to notify authorities and affected individuals; and
- Responding to individuals that exercise their privacy rights, such as the right to be provided with copies of personal data and the right to be forgotten, under data protection legislation.
Valerie also advises clients on IT, IP and data protection issues relating to major corporate transactions (e.g., mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, spin-offs, etc.), including assisting with due diligence, negotiating transaction agreements, and advising on post-closing transition and integration.
Valerie has represented companies in many different industries, including financial services, insurance, consumer products, manufacturing, energy, chemicals, healthcare and life sciences.
Valerie is a regular contributor to Mayer Brown’s Tech Talks Podcast, which provides insight on legal issues relating to technology & IP transactions and touches on relevant and timely topics.
Valerie Vanryckeghem is dual qualified in England and Wales and Belgium. Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2018, Valerie worked at a Belgian law firm. Valerie has also completed several secondments for clients operating in a broad range of sectors.
- Brussels, Belgium
- Listed as a 'key lawyer' for Fintech (Legal 500 2020).