"Mark has deep experience in the field. He knows how to get deals done and has years of global practice experience to draw on to ensure we are able to see issues from all sides and pick the best path forward."IFLR1000 (2020)
Mark Uhrynuk is a partner of Mayer Brown resident in the Hong Kong office. He represents corporations, investment banks, investment managers and investor groups in a variety of transactional matters. His wide-ranging experience includes cross-border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and strategic alliances; private equity and venture capital investment and related financings; investment fund matters, including private equity, infrastructure and real estate funds; and international equity and debt capital markets transactions.
Mark is qualified as a lawyer and has practiced law in Hong Kong, New York and England. His knowledge extends from global M&A transactions to international and US public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, international tender and exchange offers, SEC filings, and other matters arising under US securities laws for public issuers and shareholders. According to Legal 500 (2008), "clients cite him as an 'extremely smart lawyer'". Mark has been nominated as highly regarded Hong Kong lawyer by IFLR1000 for Mergers and Acquisitions (2018-2019) and Private Equity (2018-2019).
M&A / Private Equity / Joint Ventures
- Advised an Asia-based private equity sponsor in its bid to acquire a Korean life insurance business.
- Advised an international financial institution on its asset management M&A activities in Asia including acquisitions and joint ventures in China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.
- Advised a leading international Development Finance Institution with respect to its investment in a financial institution based in Thailand.
- Advised a Bermuda based insurance vehicle in its bid to acquire a run off portfolio of insurance business in Asia.
- Advised Vietnam Prosperity Joint-Stock Commercial Bank on its 15-year exclusive bancassurance partnership with AIA Vietnam.
- Advised ACC Founders Limited on the subscription by EDF EN Hong Kong Limited (a member of the EDF Energies Nouvelles group) of a majority stake in Asia Clean Capital Limited.
- Advised Principal Financial Group on its acquisition of control of CIMB-Principal Asset Management Group and CIMB-Principal Islamic Asset Management from its joint venture partner CIMB Group Holdings Berhad.
- Advised Capsquare Asia Partners on its co-investment with a leading international Development Financial Institution with respect to an investment in group manufacturing automotive components in Indonesia.
- Advising the founders of a digital music services business on the pending sale of a majority equity stake in that business.
- Advised a China-based asset manager on its minority equity investment in a privately-held, data management and analytics software business.
- Advised a Canadian-based mining company in connection with the proposed takeover of an Australian-listed mining company.
- Advised an Asian-based family office on a seed capital investment a Indian-based omnichannel retailing business.
- Advised Redwood Investment Company (an investee company of Equity International) on its all-stock merger transaction with e-Shang Cayman Ltd. The merger represents one of the largest logistics real estate platforms in Asia with over 3.5 million square metres of projects owned and under development across China, Japan and South Korea.
- Advised Nestlé on its acquisition of Pfizer's infant nutrition business for US$11.85 billion.
- Advised Principal Financial Group on the acquisition of AXA's Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) and Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance (ORSO) retirement schemes businesses in Hong Kong.
- Advising Cido Tanker Holding Co. and Cido Holding Co. on the disposal of up to 30 vessel owning companies to Diamond S Shipping.
- Advised Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co Ltd (BAIC) on an asset deal with Saab in which BAIC acquired certain intellectual property rights, technology and equipment related to Saab's 9-3 and 9-5 platforms.
- Advised Headland Capital Partners Limited (formerly HSBC (Private Equity)) in connection with certain private equity investment in Asia.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on an investment in, and joint venture relating to, a UK company engaged in the provision of various energy related services.
- Advised Vedior N.V. in connection with its takeover by Randstad Holding N.V..
- Advised Vue Entertainment in connection with various acquisition transactions and related private equity financings.
- Advising Forum Partners on the purchase of convertible bonds issued by Treasury China Trust, a Singapore listed business trust with investments in PRC-based commercial real estate projects.
- Advising a PRC-based real estate development company in connection with its proposed listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and related Rule 144A offering in the United States.
- Advising Infrastructure India Plc on its listing on the London Stock Exchange and related Rule 144A offering in the United States.
- Advising Infrastructure Asset Management on the formation of, and international capital raising for, the UBS International Infrastructure Fund.
- Advising a Russian based oil and gas exploration, development and production company on its proposed Rule 144A offering of high yield notes to US investors.
- Advising HMV Group plc in connection with its IPO and listing on the London Stock Exchange and related Rule 144A offering in the United States.
- Advised Excelsior Partners Limited, a leading private equity sponsor based in Hong Kong, in connection with the structuring, organization and initial closing of Excelsior Capital Vietnam Partners, LP, a closed-end private equity fund focused on private equity investments in Vietnam.
- Advised CITIC Pacific Limited, and its subsidiary Dah Chong Hong, in the establishment of Tamar Alliance Partners Fund I, L.P., a new private equity fund focusing on companies in the consumer and healthcare sectors seeking expansion opportunities in Greater China and Southeast Asia.
- Advising UBS Infrastructure Asset Management on the formation of the UBS International Infrastructure Fund, a fund established as an English limited partnership and a series of parallel vehicles to invest in a wide range of infrastructure opportunities primarily in OECD countries.
- Advising M&G on the formation of the M&G European Property Fund, a fund established as a SICAR in Luxembourg to invest in real estate in Europe.
- Advising Bond Capital Partners Limited on the establishment of a Bermuda-based investment fund to invest in European debt and mezzanine investment opportunities.
- Advising an international asset management group on the formation of two sector specific infrastructure funds focusing on China and the Middle East.
- Advising Liquid Realty on the formation and seeding of a Jersey-based investment fund established to invest in secondary purchases of indirect real estate interests in the UK.
University of Western Ontario, MBA, with distinction
University of Western Ontario Law School, LLB, with distinction
Associate Editor, Law Review
Dartmouth College, AB
- Hong Kong
- Board Member, Asian University for Women Support Foundation (Hong Kong) Limited
- Board Member, The University of Western Ontario (Hong Kong) Foundation
- Editorial Advisory Board, International Company and Commercial Law Review, 1998-2008
- Faculty, Euromoney's International Financial Law School, 1996-1999
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Mergers and Acquisitions – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Mergers and Acquisitions – IFLR1000 (2013-2017)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Private Equity – IFLR1000 (2016 and 2017)
- "Mark has deep experience in the field. He knows how to get deals done and has years of global practice experience to draw on to ensure we are able to see issues from all sides and pick the best path forward." – IFLR1000 (2020)