He 'is one of the best lawyers I know, very pragmatic, solution oriented and always with actionable advice' 'High level of experience and knowledge, very calm and collected and takes the stress away from what can be a very stressful situation.'Legal 500 2023
Miles Robinson is a partner in the London office of Mayer Brown's Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice, having joined Mayer Brown in 1996. He represents clients in substantial contractual and commercial claims, often with a cross-border element. He has acted on claims in the High Court, Court of Appeal, the Supreme Court and in international arbitration (including under ICC, LCIA and LMAA rules).
Miles has handled major disputes for clients in a variety of industry sectors, such as chemicals, energy, mining, automotive, music, publishing, food, FMCG (fast moving consumer goods), life sciences, outsourcing (both IT and Business Process), financial services, hospitality, shipping and logistics. His experience includes shareholder disputes, warranty claims, joint venture disputes, supply chain disputes, competition related claims (including acting on the first competition damages claim to reach the Supreme Court), breach of confidence claims and product liability. His product liability work includes defending large-scale group actions, such as the Norplant litigation, the organophosphates litigation and group claims relating to a mining project in Africa and to a factory in India. He also regularly advises clients on product recall, labelling and regulatory issues, and is co-head of the London Product Liability Practice, as well as being co-group leader for the Global Product Liability and Mass Torts Practice.
- Logistics Dispute Resolution
- Product Liability & Mass Torts
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Technology & IP Transactions
- Antitrust & Competition
- International Arbitration
- Enterprise Risk & Crisis Management
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Transformation
- IP, Software and Data Licensing
- Software Development and Technology Outsourcing Disputes
- Supply Chain & Distribution
- Represented an international agrochemical company in a product liability dispute involving proceedings in Australia, with witnesses in the UK and Canada, relating to the allegedly defective formulation of an agrochemical product by a contractor.
- Represented a coatings manufacturer in various large-scale product liability disputes in Singapore, France and the UK, relating to alleged coatings failures on an offshore drilling platform, an offshore floating rig, bridges, a hospital and cruise liners.
- Represented a construction company in a multi-party dispute on a flagship development arising from the supply of defective materials leading to an increased risk of "concrete cancer."
- Represented a major European food group in respect of claims and regulatory issues arising from the Irish pork contamination incident. This involved coordinating initial communications with the regulators across several jurisdictions, advising on initial communications with the supply chain and on subsequent claims involving customers and suppliers.
- Represented a major music company in high-profile royalty disputes with The Beatles and Pink Floyd.
- Represented a global consumer goods company in disputes arising from a global IT outsourcing and transformation project. This involved working closely with the client and our transactional team on a strategy that leveraged the dispute in order to achieve a successful renegotiation of the deal terms.
- Represented a listed company on a large group claim by former factory workers relating to alleged failures in health and safety procedures leading to serious long term health issues.
- Represented a global mining company in relation to a large group claim by those allegedly affected by a mining project in Africa.
- Represented an oil refinery in LCIA arbitration proceedings in a multi million dollar dispute arising from an oil supply agreement.
- Represented a listed steel stockholder in ICC arbitration proceedings with a Turkish steel manufacturer arising out of a supply contract. Our client was successful in the arbitration and also in the manufacturer’s subsequent appeal of the decision to the High Court, in which the appeal was dismissed in full.
- Represented the investors in a joint venture in a dispute relating to exit arrangements. The dispute concerned a complex joint venture structure with investor parties in multiple jurisdictions, property assets in Russia, the application of right of first offer provisions and “drag” provisions. This involved working closely with our transactional team to achieve a negotiated resolution and exit for the investors.
- Represented the investors in a joint venture in a dispute relating to a Portuguese property development in High Court proceedings. We successfully obtained judgment for our client, upholding the operation of the exit provisions and ordering the counterparty to buy out our client at the amount determined by the contract.
- Represented a party to a joint venture agreement for a new technology content, media and e-commerce services business in a series of disputes relating the interpretation of non-compete provisions concerning territory and scope.
- Represented a global chemicals company in follow on damages claims arising from the vitamins cartel. Our client was successful in defeating the claims on limitation grounds, in the first competition damages claim heard in the UK Supreme Court. Also advised in this area (for different clients) on potential claims arising out of the polyurethane foam cartel.
- Represented a private equity investor in defending a minority shareholder unfair prejudice claim arising from an investee company.
- Represented a global automotive parts manufacturer in numerous supply related disputes, in particular threats to stop supply by suppliers, where urgent action is required to avoid interruption to the relevant manufacturers (OEMs).
- Represented various clients in relation to product safety, labelling and recall issues, including in relation to food, over the counter medicines, toys, clothing, solar panels, electrical consumer goods, automotive components and herbicides. This has often involved coordinating with our product liability specialists in Europe, the Americas and Asia.
- Represented a bulk shipping owner in a multi-party charter party dispute arising from an engine failure.
- Represented a shipping company in a dispute under LMAA rules with a shipyard relating to the construction of a cargo ship.
- Represented an operator and owner of high end bars and restaurants in a dispute regarding the termination of a restaurant management agreement.
- Represented a global chemicals company in defending a warranty claim arising from the sale of a production facility, and in relation to an alleged failure to register certain chemicals under the REACH regulations. We worked with our EU regulatory team to defend the claim and reach a favourable resolution for our client.
- Represented a financial services group in a warranty claim arising from their purchase of an investment management and research firm.
- Represented a major clothing and consumer goods supplier in defending a warranty claim arising from the purchase of a manufacturing company. The proceedings were brought under LCIA arbitration rules and our client successfully defeated the claim at a preliminary issues hearing.
3 月 02 日2023 年
9 月 09 日2020
6 月 09 日2020
2 月 04 日2021 年
Consistently recommended and ranked as a key individual
- Miles Robinson is a contractual and commercial claims specialist. He is listed as a Leading individual for Commercial Litigation and a key lawyer for International Arbitration, 'The team around Miles Robinson provides very fast, accurate and practical advice.’ He 'is one of the best lawyers I know, very pragmatic, solution oriented and always with actionable advice’ ‘Miles Robinson – High level of experience and knowledge, very calm and collected and takes the stress away from what can be a very stressful situation.’ (Legal 500 2023).
- Listed as a Leading individual for Commercial Litigation and as a key lawyer for International Arbitration, Commercial Litigation and Fraud. (Legal 500 2022).
- ‘Miles Robinson is the standout partner in this area. He has always provided expert advice and been able to solve any issues we have had.’ (Product Liability); ‘Miles Robinson is an excellent partner, with great client skills and a thorough understanding of how to litigate to his client’s best advantage' (Commercial Litigation); ‘Expertise, authoritative opinion, and the ability to put together a team which works extremely well with both our teams and client teams. In this TMT area we would highlight Miles Robinson as an outstanding individual.’ (TMT); ‘I would pick out: ... (ii) Miles Robinson who brings vast knowledge across specialist areas combined with years of experience (Fraud). (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a 'Leading individual' for Commercial Litigation and under 'Other key lawyers' for International Arbitration, EU Compeition and Commercial Litigation. Miles attracts praise for his 'astute judgement'. ‘I would recommend Miles Robinson and his team to any client looking for top-notch commercial litigators. He is a stand out individual with astute judgement – a good team player with an excellent work ethic.’ (Commercial Litigation). A name to note. (Media and Entertainment); He ‘is an extremely reliable and responsive individual, in times of crisis he is always available and fully supportive with very clear guidance and support.’ (Product Liability) (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'key contact' for Product Liability (Chambers UK 2020).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Commercial Litigation, 'Miles Robinson is a strong litigation team manager with good judgement'. Also listed under 'Other key lawyers' for International Arbitration 'Miles Robinson is a great listener and gives considered advice that is commercially savvy.' (Product Liability) (Legal 500 2020).
- Listed as a key contact. (Chambers UK 2019).
- Praised as a "practical, personable, bright lawyer with calm authority". (Legal 500 2018).
- The "very experienced" Miles Robinson has "a calm and methodical approach to large-value and high-profile litigation claims" (TMT); He "provides practical and sensible advice" (dispute resolution); and the "absolutely outstanding" [product liability] practice is led by the "solution-oriented" Miles Robinson and Ingrid Hobbs. (Legal 500 2017).
- The "calm, experienced and user-friendly" Miles Robinson handles disputes relating to music and publishing. He "provides clear-thinking advice" (Legal 500 2016).
- "gives strong advice" (Legal 5900 2015).
- "absolutely outstanding" and provides "sensible advice" (Legal 500 2014).
- "commercially minded" and "very professional, with a vast amount of experience and knowledge" (Chambers UK 2013).
- Miles is a "high-quality lawyer", who is "a knowledgeable business partner" (Legal 500 2013).
- He "is prompt to respond when I need him, willing to give firm advice and conscious that time is money!" note clients, who also comment: "All the way through he guides and advises us on the best way forward, always taking on board what we are looking for". He "possesses a commercial understanding and an ability to listen to the real substance of the issue" (Chambers UK 2012).
- He earns praise for his sound commercial advice (Chambers UK 2010).
- Miles "stands out" and is "fantastic on the detail" (Legal 500 2012).
- His "attention to detail is second to none" (Legal 500 2011).
- "very responsive - he looks at problems from both the business and legal angle" (Legal 500 2008).