"She is extremely sharp."Chambers
Elena Rubinov is a partner in Mayer Brown's Corporate & Securities practice. She maintains a broad M&A practice, representing public and private companies, including private equity and infrastructure fund clients, in corporate and business combination transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, investments, co-investments, joint ventures, recapitalizations, restructurings and bankruptcy sales, among others. She regularly counsels clients in a variety of industries, including energy, infrastructure, media and entertainment, chemicals, financial services and retail. Additionally, she advises on debt and corporate restructurings in connection with equity recapitalizations, rights offerings and 363 sales and acquisitions.
Elena is ranked for “Energy: Electricity (Transactional)” by Chambers Global 2022 and Chambers USA 2021-2022. She is also recognized in the Legal 500 2019-2021 as a “Next Generation Partner” and the Legal 500 2018 for Energy Transactions: Conventional Power. Elena is also listed as a “Rising Star: M&A, 2019” by IFLR1000 and a “Rising Star, 2018” by Thomson Reuters, New York Metro Super Lawyers.
Utilities, Power and Infrastructure
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure in the $4.1 billion sale of its wholly-owned North America district energy business, Enwave, through two separate transactions which were entered into simultaneously. Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board and IFM Investors acquired 100 percent of Enwave's Canadian business and QIC Limited and Ullico Inc. acquired 100 percent of Enwave's U.S. business.
- Represented Ember Infrastructure Partners in connection with a joint venture with ReEnergy Biomass Operations LLC to create an industry-leading bioenergy platform operating under the name ReGenerate Energy and the acquisition of an ownership interest in ReEnergy’s two biomass power plants in Maine, ReEnergy Stratton and ReEnergy Livermore Falls.
- Represented Argo Infrastructure Partners in the $150 million acquisition of Corning Natural Gas Holding Corporation, a provider of natural gas and electric service to customers in New York and Pennsylvania.
- Represented Argo Infrastructure Partners in the approximately $514 million acquisition, by merger, of Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation's MIC Hawaii businesses, which comprise a combined regulated gas utility and unregulated distributor of propane and several smaller businesses, including controlling interests in two solar facilities.
- Represented Siemens Financial Services, Inc. in the sale of its preferred equity interest in Hummel Power Station, a 1,124 MW natural gas-fired CCGT facility located in northern Pennsylvania, to an affiliate of a fund managed by LS Power Equity Advisors, LLC, and related transactions involving the restructuring of the ownership of Hummel Power Station.
- Represented an affiliate of Brookfield Asset Management in a strategic investment with Landmark Infrastructure Partners LP to form a joint venture to invest in core telecommunication, renewable power and other infrastructure assets.
- Represented Great Plains Energy in its proposed cash-stock acquisition of, and its revised stock-for-stock merger of equals transaction with, Westar Energy, Inc., creating Evergy Inc., a company with a combined equity value of $15 billion.
- Represented Hydro One Limited, a Canadian electric transmission and distribution utility, in its $5.3 billion proposed acquisition of Avista Corporation (terminated).
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in its acquisition of two natural gas-fired facilities totaling 503 MW from Valley Road Holdings, a subsidiary of LS Power Development, LLC.
- Represented Duke Energy Corporation in the $2.8 billion sale of its Midwest merchant generation business to a subsidiary of Dynegy Inc., which includes ownership interests in 11 power plants with a total capacity of approximately 6,100 MW, as well as Duke’s competitive retail electric and gas business.
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in the sale of Michigan Power, a natural gas-fired power plant in Ludington, Michigan to Osaka Gas USA.
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in the acquisition of six peaking generating facilities with a combined generation capacity of 972.5 MW from AES Ohio Generation, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of DPL, Inc.
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in the sale of three peaking generating facilities with a combined generation capacity of 1,100 MW to a fund managed by the Carlyle Group.
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in the acquisition of a 352 MW generation facility known as Shelby County located in Illinois from an affiliate of NRG Energy, Inc.
- Represented Rockland Capital, LLC in the acquisition of a 1,166 MW portfolio of three natural gas generating facilities from an affiliate of Ameren Corporation.
- Represented Arroyo Energy Partners in the acquisition of Broad River Energy Center, an 870 MW dual-fuel, simple-cycle generation facility in Gaffney, SC from Energy Capital Partners.
- Represented NRG Energy, Inc. in the acquisition of XOOM Energy Global Holdings, LLC, a retail energy provider, from BlueGreen Holding LLC.
- Represented Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in the acquisition through a joint venture with GE Energy Financial Services of Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline, a 5,800 mile U.S. natural gas pipeline, from Morgan Stanley Infrastructure.
- Represented Global Infrastructure Partners in a joint venture with Hess Corporation through the acquisition of a 50% interest in Hess Infrastructure Partners, the owner of Hess’ midstream crude oil and natural gas infrastructure assets in the Bakken Shale for the purchase price of $2.675 billion.
- Represented School Specialty, Inc., a leading provider of educational products and services to the Pre-K- 12th grade market in the U.S. and Canada, in its successful out-of-court restructuring of more than $300 million of debt and consensual sale of substantially all of its assets to an entity formed by TCW Asset Management Company, LLC, Cerberus Capital Management, and Lantern Capital Partners.
- Represented Eastern Outfitters LLC in a chapter 11 bankruptcy sale of its business to SportsDirect.com Retail Ltd. for $105 million in debt takebacks and other consideration.
Hofstra University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
Associate Editor, The Hofstra Law Review
Hofstra University, BBA, with highest honors
- Kupona Foundation Advisory Board member
- Band 3, Energy: Electricity (Transactional) by Chambers USA 2022 and Band 4, Energy: Electricity (Transactional) by Chambers Global 2022
- Next Generation Lawyer, Energy Transactions: Conventional Power, Legal 500 US 2021
- The Legal 500 United States, Energy Transactions: Conventional Power, 2018
- Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate Guide, Rising Star: M&A, 2019
- Thomson Reuters, New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2018