Jason has "fantastic judgment and is very insightful and strategic" with experience "handling compliance and internal investigations matters as well as complex investigations by the DOJ and SEC."Chambers USA 2021
Jason Linder, a former senior federal prosecutor, co-chairs Mayer Brown’s Global Anti-Corruption & FCPA practice. Resident in the firm’s Washington DC and Los Angeles offices, Jason is a trial lawyer who counsels and defends boards, multinational companies, and executives through corporate crises and government and media scrutiny; leads internal and government-facing investigations, often across borders; and provides proactive compliance counseling. Jason has led matters in more than 65 countries and in all major industries, and has deep experience in matters involving corruption, securities fraud and other forms of financial fraud, money laundering, tax evasion, and anticompetitive conduct.
Jason is highly regarded by US and foreign authorities. He has worked with or against nearly every major US Attorney’s Office, many components of DOJ’s Main Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, other US law enforcement and regulatory agencies, and foreign authorities and multilateral development banks across the globe. Before joining Mayer Brown, Jason chaired another major firm’s global investigations and white collar criminal defense practice. From 2007 to 2017, he served as a federal prosecutor, both in the Department of Justice’s Criminal Division—where he led many of the Department’s most cutting-edge cross-border white collar investigations—and as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Florida, where he tried numerous cases and argued multiple appeals. Jason served as DOJ’s principal representative to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC). Jason clerked for the Honorable Stanley Marcus of the US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit from 2001 to 2002.
Jason is the national co-chair of the American Bar Association’s White Collar Crime Committee, an officer of the International Bar Association’s Business Crimes Committee and serves on the boards of multiple California legal and public service organizations. He speaks and writes regularly on a range of white collar and compliance issues. National media, including the Wall Street Journal, regularly turn to Jason for thought leadership. He is also recognized by numerous legal industry publications, including his selection as one of five lawyers to Global Investigations Review’s “FCPA Practitioner to Watch” list in 2021 and his national and international rankings by Chambers for FCPA.
Because of the sensitive nature of the matters Jason handles, most are non-public, but here are descriptions of some of his recent matters:
- Representing an oil and gas company in a cross-border DOJ investigation into potential domestic corruption, foreign corruption, and violations of the Foreign Agent Registration Act.
- Representing a major insurer in a DOJ criminal antitrust investigation.
- Representing a publicly traded company in a DOJ FCPA investigation involving conduct in Asia.
- Leading an investigation into alleged securities fraud on behalf of a committee of the board of directors of a major California publicly traded company.
- Leading an internal investigation for a major horseracing company.
- Representing a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an FCPA-related civil suit.
- Conducted an FCPA-related internal investigation in Asia for a large California-based publicly traded technology company.
- Representing the general counsel of a defense contractor in multiple DOJ investigations involving allegations relating to the FCPA, money laundering, the Foreign Agent Registration Act and fraud.
- Representing a China-based executive of a large California-based publicly traded company in connection with an FCPA investigation by the SEC and DOJ.
- Representing an executive of a major financial institution in an internal fraud-related investigation and related civil litigation.
- Representing an orthopedic surgery practice in an internal and government healthcare fraud investigation, as well as related qui tam and civil suits.
- Representing a major medical device manufacturer in an internal and DOJ investigation of cyberhacking.
- Conducting compliance reviews and implementing compliance remediation for multiple large corporations, across a wide range of industries.
- Representing several executives of a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer in a DOJ and SEC investigation into potential accounting fraud, securities fraud, wire fraud, and books and records violations, as well as the company's related internal investigation.
- Represented an executive of a major medical device manufacturer in a DOJ healthcare fraud investigation.
- Represented an executive of a German auto manufacturer in a DOJ and German law enforcement investigation into potential regulatory fraud.
- Conducted FCPA-related internal investigations in Latin America and the Caribbean for a large California-based publicly traded company.
- Designed and implemented a compliance program for an entertainment studio to minimize risk arising from contemplated new content creation.
- Revised and trained executives on an entertainment studio’s FCPA compliance program.
- Advised a private equity fund regarding FCPA implications of its investments.
- Served as an expert witness on corruption-related issues for a major real estate development company.
- Served as an expert witness on anti-corruption compliance programs for a major medical device company.
- Counseled a major pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding FCPA issues.
- Advised an international health care company on its anti-corruption compliance program.
- Led a major Los Angeles County company’s internal investigation relating to a cyberhack and advised the business on cybersecurity compliance.
Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude
Swarthmore College, BA, with honors, Philosophy
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, White Collar Crime Committee, National Co-Chair
- International Bar Association, Business Crime Committee, Treasurer and former North America Regional Representative
- Bet Tzedek, Board of Directors, Member
- Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, Board of Directors, Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Board of Governors, Member (2017-2021)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2022)
- Ranked in Chambers Global, FCPA in the USA (2021 and 2022)
- Ranked in Chambers USA, FCPA (Nationwide) (2020 and 2021)
- Named an “FCPA Practitioner to Watch” by Global Investigations Review (2021)
- Named a white collar criminal defense Southern California Super Lawyer (2020-2022)
- Recognized as one of North America’s Future Leaders in Investigations by Who’s Who Legal (2019-2021)