"David Harrison is a brilliant and outstanding lawyer and a point of reference whenever there is a highly complex deal. His technical ability, coupled with exceptional soft skills and commercial sense, make him a formidable legal adviser on any transaction."Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
David Harrison is a partner of Mayer Brown’s Vietnam office.
David has over 10 years of experience working in Vietnam, he worked at a Magic Circle law firm in New York and Vietnam. He focuses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and on banking and finance in emerging Asian markets. He has advised foreign investors on numerous mergers and acquisitions, including Vietnamese commercial banks and corporate targets in Vietnam and other Asian jurisdictions, such as Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan and Bangladesh. David represented a global insurer on the first warranty and indemnity policy used in a Vietnamese corporate acquisition. He has advised multilateral and commercial lenders and agents on a broad range of secured and subordinated credit facilities extended to banks and corporations in Vietnam and other Asian jurisdictions such as Cambodia, Mongolia and Sri Lanka. David advised a leading international bank on its divestment of its minority stake in another commercial bank in Asia. David has also advised lenders and borrowers on out-of-court workouts and insolvency and restructuring matters in both Vietnam and the US.
- Representing the lead investor in the US$200 million private equity investment in Vincom Retail.
- Represented a European Development Finance Institution on the financing of, and equity investment in, a LPG Terminal in Bangladesh.
- Represented a global insurer in relation to the first warranty and indemnity insurance product in Vietnam. This represents the first time that a warranty and indemnity policy (W&I policy) has been used on a Vietnam acquisition.
- Advised FMO, the Dutch Development Bank, on a 15% equity investment in Hamkorbank, one of the largest commercial banks in Uzbekistan and a public company traded on the Tashkent Stock Exchange.
- Represented a private equity investor in a hybrid debt/equity investment in a casino project in Vietnam.
- Advised Hillhouse Capital Management Limited in relation to its acquisition of a minority stake Vinacafe Bien Hoa in Vietnam, a publicly listed company.
- Representing selling shareholders in VNG Corporation (Vinagames) in a disposal of a minority stake in Vinagames to a foreign fund.
- Representing European investors in an equity investment in a publicly-traded Sri Lankan insurance company.
- Advised leading international banks on the divestment of all shares in a leading domestic commercial bank, which is one of the largest private banks in a SE Asia market.
- Advised FMO (Dutch Development Bank), Belgian Investment Company for Developing Countries (BIO) and Dragon Capital Group on the auction process and strategic sale of their collective 67 percent shareholdings in PRASAC Microfinance Institution, Cambodia's largest microfinance institution with more than US$1.3 billion in assets. The transaction closed in March 2017 and was recognized as being one of the most innovative transactions in 2017.
- Advised TPG Capital on its acquisition of a majority stake in Vietnam Australia International schools from its founder, Mekong Capital and MAJ Invest.
- Advised a foreign investor on a proposed majority acquisition of a Vietnamese commercial bank.
- Represented FMO on its divestment from a Sri Lankan microcredit institution.
- Acted for a leading international bank in its disposal of minority strategic equity stake in a publicly listed Vietnamese commercial bank.
- Advised FMO, the Dutch Development Bank, as international counsel on bilateral and syndicated financings to corporate clients, commercial banks, finance leasing companies, and microcredit institutions in Vietnam, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Sri Lanka.
- Advised AES and the BOT project company in the financing of the US$1.8 billion Mong Duong 2 1,240 MW coal-fired power plant project in northern Vietnam (Project Finance deal of the year 2012 by IFLR Asia).
- Advised The Development Bank of Mongolia on a US$300 million syndicated facility arranged by Credit Suisse that is guaranteed by the Mongolian Ministry of Finance.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders led by IFC in the financing of international container terminals at Cai Lan Port in northern Vietnam and Cai Mep Port in southern Vietnam. The borrowers under each project were joint venture companies between Vinalines, Vietnam's state-owned shipping company, and Carrix.
- Advised European development finance institutions in restructuring credit facilities extended to the Vietstar Waste Management Project in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Representing private equity firm with over US$5 billion under management in the cross-border reorganisation of its portfolio.
- Representing a syndicate of lenders led by a developmental lender, as agent, in a US$150 million Tier 2 Capital Facility to one of Vietnam's largest private banks (the first Tier 2 Capital facility in Vietnam).
3 月 16 日2023 年
2 月 13 日2023 年
11 月 19 日2020 年
11 月 10 日 –
11 月 11 日2020
5 月 05 日2022 年
Duke University School of Law, Juris Doctor, L.L.M. in International Law
Georgetown University, Bachelor of Science (Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam
- Australian Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam
- European Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam
- British Business Group Vietnam
- Vietnam’s Top 100 Lawyers – Asia Business Law Journal’s The A-List (2021)
- Recommended - Corporate and M&A, Vietnam – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2023)
- Leading Individual - Banking & Finance (Vietnam) – Chambers Global (2015-2023)
- Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A (Vietnam) – Chambers Global (2016-2023)
- Foreign Expert Based in Vietnam - Corporate & Finance (Bangladesh) – Chambers Global (2016-2020)
- Foreign Expert for Bangladesh - Corporate/M&A (Vietnam) – Chambers Global (2016-2018)
- Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A (Vietnam) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2016-2023)
- Leading Individual - Banking & Finance (Vietnam) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2015-2023)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Banking (Vietnam) – IFLR1000 (2018-2022, 2022/23)
- Rising Star - Banking and Finance (Vietnam) – IFLR1000 (2014-2017)
- Up and Coming - Banking and Finance (Vietnam) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2014)
- "David Harrison is a brilliant and outstanding lawyer and a point of reference whenever there is a highly complex deal. His technical ability, coupled with exceptional soft skills and commercial sense, make him a formidable legal adviser on any transaction." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2022)
- "David Harrison is a well-balanced commercial lawyer with in-depth experience and knowledge relating to Vietnamese M&A deals. David has assisted us to commercially navigate through the legal gauntlet of frontier markets." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- "David Harrison is perhaps the top foreign transaction lawyer working in Vietnam today. He has a depth of experience in the country and world-class legal expertise. He is invariably my first call for all things Vietnam related." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- "David Harrison and his team are professional, courteous, warm, honest, deal-makers and competent." – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- "Hands-on approach, results-oriented, people-driven practice, efficient" – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- "proactive, supportive and knowledgeable of the Vietnam market.” – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
- "He is able to do exactly what you want from a lawyer: solve problems and envision ways of sidestepping problems in the future." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)
- "very responsive and solution-oriented." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "practical as well as theoretical" and "commercially focused" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)