Banking & Finance, Restructuring, Mergers & Acquisitions
Javier Garibay, a Senior Associate at Mayer Brown’s Mexico City office, plays a pivotal role in the Banking & Finance and Corporate & Securities practices. With a specialized focus in both Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) and Restructuring and Insolvency, Javier brings a wealth of expertise that is indispensable to our clients in these complex legal domains.
In the realm of Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A), Javier's profound understanding and extensive experience are instrumental in successfully navigating both domestic and international transactions. His role surpasses mere legal advising; he serves as a strategic ally, ensuring that our clients’ mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures are carried out with meticulous precision and foresight. In the equally demanding area of restructuring and insolvency, Javier brings a strategic edge, primarily representing lenders. His expert handling of restructuring processes and insolvency cases is geared towards developing comprehensive solutions that safeguard and promote our clients' interests, particularly in safeguarding the rights and claims of lenders in complex financial restructurings. Javier's approach is rooted in a deep understanding of the challenges faced by lenders in these scenarios, ensuring that their needs and objectives are effectively addressed.
Javier’s combination of transactional and regulatory knowledge is particularly valuable in managing the intricacies of insolvency situations. He effectively coordinates across various legal areas, leading to resolutions that are not only legally sound but also align with our clients’ business objectives.
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Cargill Financial Services - Altos Hornos de México Bankruptcy. Representation of Cargill Financial Services International Inc. and Cargill Soluciones Empresariales, S.A. de C.V. SOFOM, E.N.R. as principal creditors in the landmark bankruptcy case of Altos Hornos de México, S.A.B. de C.V. With a substantial claim of $632,299,838.62 USD, this case, adjudicated in the 2nd District Court in Commercial Bankruptcy Matters (case number 19/2023), stands out not only as one of the largest but also as the most complex and significant in the history of Mexican bankruptcy law.
- Cargill Financial Services - Minera del Norte Bankruptcy. Representation of Cargill Financial Services International Inc. and Cargill Soluciones Empresariales, S.A. de C.V. SOFOM, E.N.R. in their role as major creditors in the ongoing bankruptcy proceedings of Minera del Norte, S.A. de C.V.
- US Bank Trust Company - Inversiones y Colocaciones Inmobiliarias Bankruptcy. Representation of U.S. Bank Trust Company, National Association, serving as the indenture trustee, in the ongoing bankruptcy case of Inversiones y Colocaciones Inmobiliarias, S.A.P.I. de C.V.
- US Bank Trust Company, National Association - Tangerine Pomelo Group Bankruptcy. Serving as the legal representative for U.S. Bank Trust Company, National Association, in its role as the indenture trustee, this case involves the bankruptcy proceedings of Tangerine Pomelo Group, S.A.P.I. de C.V. Overseen by the 2nd District Court in Commercial Bankruptcy Matters under case number 34/2023, the representation includes advocating for the recovery of $319,792,898.59 USD owed to our client. This case is emblematic of our commitment to navigating complex financial and legal landscapes to protect the interests of bondholders.
- Recipient of the Chevening Scholarship, the UK government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders since 1983.
- Recipient of the Scholarship for Academic Excellence at Universidad Panamericana.
- Universidad Panamericana
Dissertation: Proposals to modernize the stock corporation in Mexico.
- Durham University, MA
Dissertation: Can a rule permitting anticipatory warfare be justified?
Javier Garibay’s commitment to the legal community and his passion for sharing knowledge are evident in his extensive involvement in various professional and educational roles:
- Editorial Board Member: Javier is a distinguished member of the board of editors for Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, a prestigious publication in the field. His role here underscores his expertise and thought leadership in bankruptcy law.
- Recognized Author: Javier has been honored as a "very popular" author in the field of insolvency, bankruptcy, and restructuring in the United States. This recognition comes from Mondaq’s author rankings, which are based on comprehensive readership data from over 25,000 authors. Being in the top 20% of these authors reflects Javier's significant impact and influence in these legal areas.