Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
"Outstanding litigator and admiralty law specialist"
Bill Amos specialises in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution, including international trade, banking, shipping, aviation, aerospace and insurance. He has represented clients in a wide variety of high-profile cases covering an extensive range of commercial disputes.
He conducts Hong Kong, London, Singapore and China-based arbitrations. A Fellow and former Council Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, Bill has been appointed as arbitrator in numerous ad hoc and administered arbitrations.
Bill also advises banks, insurers and trading companies on matters concerning asset finance, trade finance and international sale of goods. The Legal 500 Asia Pacific recommends Bill for Dispute Resolution and Asset Finance, describing him as “well connected, flexible and provides practical solutions”.
- Representing NORD/LB in their Court of Appeal victory in The “Brightoil Glory”  HKCA 561.
- Recovering for the secured creditors over US$600 million by way of the largest ever maritime award and court sale of ships in Hong Kong, following the collapse of Korea’s Hanjin Shipping Co Ltd.
- Representing Asia Satellite Telecommunications Co Ltd in their successful London Court of International Arbitration claim under a satellite lease agreement, conducted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
- Representing the shipowner/buyer in a shipbuilding contract arbitration, and establishing the shipowner’s entitlement to claim under the refund guarantee despite the existence of a PRC Restraining Order/injunction in Otto Offshore Ltd. v. Bank of Communications  HKEC 1073.
- In the Taiwan Maritime Transportation restructuring, advising the ship finance lenders with regard to the recovery of over US$400 million of loans secured over the vessels, and leading arrest and related litigation worldwide.
- On behalf of a UK Plc, Bill conducted the successful defence of minority shareholder proceedings concerning a Hong Kong subsidiary, combined with injunctive relief to protect the assets concerned.
- The Court of Final Appeal case World Fuel v. Florens  3 HKC 332 which established and defined the liability of third party funders of litigation by a company in liquidation.
- Bill has represented airports in connection with powers of detention and sale of aircraft following the insolvency of airlines, as well as advising on lessors' rights of repossession.
- Hong Kong
- Fellow and former Council Member, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (“HKIArb”)
- Panel Arbitrator of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (“HKIAC”), International Chamber of Commerce (“ICC”), China Maritime Arbitration Commission (“CMAC”) and Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration (“SCIA”)
- Founding Full Member, Hong Kong Maritime Arbitrators Group (“HKMAG”)
- Supporting Member, London Maritime Arbitrators Association (“LMAA”)
- Notary Public
- Member, Admiralty Court Users Committee
- Approved Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association
- Ranked Lawyer – China (International Firms), Shipping: Litigation – Chambers Global (2019-2022)
- Ranked Lawyer – China (International Firms), Shipping: Litigation – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Ranked Lawyer – China (International Firms), Shipping: Litigation – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019, 2020 and 2021)
- Recognised Practitioner – China (International Firms), Shipping: Litigation – Chambers Asia Pacific (2018)
- Recommended – Hong Kong: Asset Finance – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017)
- Recommended – Hong Kong: Litigation – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017)
- "Well connected, flexible and provides practical solutions" – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017)
- Expert – Who's Who Legal: Transport (2017)
- Leading Individual – China (International Firms), Dispute Resolution – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012, 2013)
- Leading Individual – China (International Firms), Shipping: Litigation – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- "brings cross-border capability to the team" – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)