Co-leader of Restructuring
Matthew V. Wargin
Restructuring, Corporate Trust & Agency, Distressed Real Estate
Matt Wargin represents institutional lenders, bank groups, hedge funds and other creditors in out-of-court workouts, bankruptcy proceedings and other distress situations, including advising corporate clients on distressed asset sales and acquisitions and on structuring considerations in complex debt transactions.
Matt’s experience includes representing debtors and other stakeholders in Chapter 11 proceedings and also includes a variety of matters representing corporate trust clients in connection with restructurings, litigation, and other special situations.
Matt has advised clients in connection with transactions and disputes involving a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, oil and gas, manufacturing, life insurance and financial services. Matt regularly litigates matters in federal bankruptcy and district courts and has significant experience working with expert witnesses and litigating contested valuation issues.
- Represented bond trustee in connection with successful restructuring of Odebrecht Oil & Gas and its subsidiaries and affiliates, which was awarded as the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by both the International Financial Law Review and Latin Lawyer.
- Represented large European financial institution in connection with LATAM Airlines’s chapter 11 proceeding and guarantee issued for the benefit of LATAM Airlines.
- Advised a major Mexican financial institution in connection with Aeromexico’s chapter 11 proceedings in the United States. The representation involved advising the financial institution in its capacity as a lender under multiple export credit agency-backed loans to Aeromexico, as well in its capacity as a letter of credit and swap provider under various prepetition and postpetition transactions.
- Advised major U.S. lender in connection with out-of-court restructuring of Kazakhstan-based airline’s financing transactions backed by European export credit agency.
- Represented agent and lender in connection with restructuring of multiple secured credit facilities representing more than $2 billion in secured debt of Petrobras, the Brazilian state-owned oil company.
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with bankruptcy proceeding of Aurora Loan Servicing.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with dozens of investor-directed litigations in state and federal court.
- New York University School of Law, JD, cum laude
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, Journalism
Inscription au Barreau
- New York
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York