Jose L. Valera
Projects & Infrastructure, Financial Services M&A, Infrastructure Investment
Jose L. Valera is a partner in the Houston office of Mayer Brown and member of the Global Energy group. He focuses his practice on domestic and international energy transactions and project development, with more than 25 years of legal experience representing oil, gas and electric energy companies throughout the United States, Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Caribbean.
Jose represents clients in a wide range of commercial agreements, including oil and gas exploration and production contracts, investment agreements, production sales, upstream development projects, transportation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. He also has experience with onshore and marine terminal services agreements for crude oil and petroleum fuels. In the power sector, Jose drafts and negotiates project development agreements for thermal and renewable generation projects, operation and maintenance of power plants, fuel supply, financing, mergers and acquisitions. Jose’s LNG practice focuses on LNG liquefaction services, regasification services, development of regasification terminals, and purchase and sale of LNG.
Jose has counseled the governments of Argentina, Bolivia, Honduras, Peru and Iraq on energy legislative reform matters, development of shared hydrocarbon resources, and privatization transactions related to the electric and oil and gas industries.
Fluent in English, Spanish and French, he is a former member of the board of directors of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators and is a frequent speaker on energy matters at professional conferences.
Oil and gas exploration and production contracts, investment agreements, upstream development projects, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures.
- Representation of large independent US company in the negotiation and drafting of a production handling agreement relating to a deep water spar and development and operation of subsea production facilities in the deep water portion of the Gulf of Mexico; and in the negotiation of the joint operation agreement for the exploration and development of a deep water lease.
- Representation of Korean shareholder in the sale of its share ownership interest in Peruvian natural gas transporter Transportadora de Gas del Perú S.A. (TgP) to Spanish and Canadian buyers.
- Representation of Colombian company in connection with their operations in the Gulf of Mexico, including the negotiation and drafting of joint operating agreements, agreements for the development of subsea production systems, production handling agreements and agreements for the transportation of production.
- Representation of large independent US company in connection with the farm-out of working interest in two offshore hydrocarbon concessions in Nicaragua, including the negotiation of joint operating agreements.
- Representation of a Spanish company in the sale of all its ownership interest in two producing areas in Ecuador to a Chinese company.
- Chambers Global- Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012
- Chambers Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Chambers USA: Latin America Investments 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- The Burton Awards for Achievement in Legal Writing 2008
- Catholic University of Peru, BA
- Catholic University of Peru, JD
- South Texas College of Law, JD
Inscription au Barreau
- Peru (inactive)
Engagement professionnel et communautaire
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations
- Houston World Affairs Council