Steven Tran is a partner of Mayer Brown based in the Hong Kong office. Steven represents private equity, corporate and financial institution clients on their private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and joint venture transactions across a broad range of industry sectors. Steven's practice covers both domestic Greater China deals and complex multi-jurisdictional deals across the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
Steven has over 20 years of legal experience and has been based in Hong Kong since 2002. He previously practiced law in Sydney with a leading Australian law firm and also spent four years in Tokyo where he helped to establish and develop the Japan corporate practice for a global law firm.
Steven speaks English, Vietnamese and Japanese.
- Advised Permira and its portfolio company, Tricor Group, on the acquisition by Tricor Group of Madison Pacific Group.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$432 million investment in Gome Electrical Appliances Holding through the subscription of RMB-denominated US dollar settled 5% convertible bonds and the underwriting of an open offer of new shares.
- Advised Bain Capital on its US$100 million acquisition of 7% senior exchangeable bonds in Sunac Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its investment in LanzaTech New Zealand Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$233 million 3.5% convertible bonds from Hilong Holding Limited.
- Advised CITIC Capital on its subscription of HK$232 million 3.5% convertible bonds from China Tianyi Holdings Limited.
- Advised Warburg Pincus on its acquisition of US$250 million zero coupon convertible bonds issued by Chunghwa Picture Tubes, Ltd.
- Advised a leading global private equity fund on its ¥5.1 billion investment in Atom Corporation.
- Advised the private equity arm of a leading global investment bank on its US$70 million acquisition of Ssangyong Corporation.
- Advised the investment arm of a leading global technology company on its investment in Series A preferred shares of CTAccel Limited.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the disposal of its portfolio of Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Singaporean purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the offshore shareholders' agreement relating to its acquisition of real estate assets in Niseko, Japan.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on the post-completion restructuring of its investment in a Chinese car park management business.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its Indonesian joint venture to acquire and develop real estate in Bali, Indonesia.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its joint venture with a Thai partner in respect of certain Thai real estate investments.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Cambodian real estate assets to a local Cambodia-based purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Sri Lankan real estate assets to a Chinese purchaser.
- Advised LimeTree Capital on its disposal of certain Palau real estate assets to a local Palau-based purchaser.
- Advised Doughty Hanson on its €750 million acquisition of TMF, a global management and accounting outsourcing services business.
- Advised CEL Catalyst China-Israel Fund on its investment in SatixFy Limited.
- Advised New World Investment Fund on its investment in exchangeable bonds issued by Ocean Sound Enterprise Limited.
- Advised Nomura China Venture Investment Fund (an investment vehicle of Nomura Securities) on the reorganization, and subsequent sale, of its shareholding in Loulan Holdings.
- Advised SIN Capital on matters relating to its Hong Kong joint venture with Vista Holdings Group Limited.
- Advised China Everbright on its investment in convertible bonds issued by Simplicity & Vogue Retailing Corporation.
- Advised Amazon on its acquisition of a Hong Kong internet data centre operator.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group on its Chinese film and TV production joint venture with Perfect World Pictures and WME-IMG.
- Advised Village Roadshow Entertainment Group's sale to Perfect Village Entertainment HK Limited of its limited partnership interest in Irresistible Films LP.
- Advised UBS on its proprietary investment in NIO Inc. (formerly known as NextEV Inc.).
- Advised Mercer on its acquisition of the remuneration consulting and related data services business of HR Business Solutions across Hong Kong, China and Singapore.
- Advised CITIC Securities Co., Limited on its acquisition from Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank of CLSA, an Asian equity brokerage.
- Advised TPV Technology Limited on its acquisition of the entire television business of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV in Europe and certain South American countries.
- Advised 21st Century Fox on the establishment of its Star China TV joint venture with China Media Capital, and the subsequent sale of its 49.9% stake in the joint venture to China Media Capital.
- Advised Ctrip.com on its US$88 million acquisition of a 90% interest in the shares of the holding company through which Wing On Travel (Holdings) Limited operates its travel business in Hong Kong, China and other countries.
- Advised Pacific Century Regional Developments Limited, as the joint offeror with China Netcom, on their HK$14.9 billion cash offer to privatize PCCW Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Advised a leading global bank on its HK$184 million acquisition of an interest in Dah Sing Financial Holdings.
- Advised Vodafone Group on the ¥2 trillion tender offer by SoftBank Corporation for Vodafone Japan.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on its business alliance with The Bank of East Asia Ltd. relating to the co-development of business potential in Japan, Mainland China, Hong Kong and other countries.
- Advised Sojitz Corporation on its acquisition of a controlling stake in Phenix Jet Hong Kong Limited.
- Advised Calyon Bank on the ¥3.5 billion sale of its Japanese and Hong Kong cash equities and sales trading business to BNP Paribas.
- Advised Nomura Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of the Asia-Pacific operations of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
University of New South Wales, LLB
University of New South Wales, BA, (Asian Studies)
College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- Australia, New South Wales