"a skilled negotiator and an expert in project finance, particularly power finance."Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
Ben Thompson serves clients on project development and financing throughout Asia and has advised both sponsors and lenders on a number of the highest profile and award-winning power and infrastructure projects in the region, with a particular focus on renewables.
Ben has advised on projects in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia, the Philippines, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal and Mongolia. Deal highlights include the Lotus wind power project in Vietnam; the Myingyan IPP (Myanmar's first internationally tendered power project); the Nam Ngiep 1, Theun Hinboun, and Nam Ngum 3 hydropower projects in Laos PDR; and the Jawa 1 LNG-to-power project in Indonesia (the first LNG-to-power project in the Asia Pacific region).
Ben is particularly experienced in advising MLA and DFI lenders on projects, including ADB, IFC, AIIB, JICA, DEG, and others.
- Lenders in relation to the financing of the 144MW Lotus wind farm in Vietnam.
- Sponsors in relation to the proposed project financing of a 35MW solar power plant in Paturia, Manigoni, Bangladesh by ADB and DEG.
- Lenders on the potential project financing of the 50MW Padma Solar Farm Project, Bangladesh.
- International and Myanmar sponsors on all aspects of the development of the Shweli 3 671 MW hydropower project in Myanmar.
- International sponsors on all aspects of the development of the Deedoke run-of-river 66MW hydropower project in Myanmar, which (if completed on schedule) would be the country's first internationally developed hydro-IPP selling exclusively into the Myanmar market.
- International investor on its proposed investment into a greenfield solar power project in Myanmar.
- Confidential client in relation to the development of a potential hydropower project in Nepal.
- Lenders on the Nam Ngum 3 hydropower project in Laos PDR.
- Sponsors on the Nam Ngiep 1 hydropower project in Laos PDR.
- Lenders on the EGCO Theppana wind farm project in Thailand.
- Lenders on the EGCO Solarco solar power project in Thailand.
- Lenders on the refinancing and extension of the Theun-Hinboun power project in Laos PDR in 2008 and subsequent DFI tranche in 2009 (Renewables Deal of the Year 2008 by Project Finance Magazine).
- International multilateral institution on the 201MW Gansu Guazhou Ganhekou No. 8 Wind Farm in Gansu Province, western China (Asia Pacific Renewables Deal of the Year 2010 by Project Finance Magazine).
- Lenders on National Power's proposed biomass project in Thailand.
- Lenders on all ongoing post-closing matters on Nam Theun 2 hydropower project in Laos PDR.
- Sponsors on a IPP bid in Thailand.
- International multilateral institution on the PPA for the NED solar power project in Thailand.
Additional Power Experience
- Lenders in relation to the development and financing of the 1,390 MW Mee Lin Gyaing LNG-to-power project in Myanmar.
- Confidential client in relation to the development of a 3GW LNG-to-power project in Vietnam
- Sponsor on its participation in the Jawa 1 LNG-to-power project in Indonesia, including advising on the due diligence, project documents and the project finance agreements (Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year 2019 by Project Finance International).
- Sponsors on an LNG-to-power FSRU and powership project in Vietnam.
- Lenders (including IFC, ADB and AIIB) on the financing of the 225MW combined-cycle gas-fired power project in Myingyan, Myanmar's first internationally tendered power project.
- Sponsors on the development and financing of the Kyaukse 150MW power plant in Myanmar, including the PPA and financing.
- On all aspects of the development of a 300MW temporary power plant in Yangon, including the negotiation of the PPA and other key project documents for the transaction.
- Marubeni Corporation on its indirect acquisition of a 20 percent stake in a Cambodia-based power generation and transmission business owned and operated by Malaysia's Leader Group.
- Sponsors on all aspects of the development and financing of the Ahlone 121MW combined-cycle gas-fired power project in Yangon, Myanmar.
- International sponsors on the proposed development and financing of the Kanbauk 200MW gas-fired power project.
- ADB and IFC on US$300 million financing to Ooredoo Myanmar for the expansion of its telecommunications network in Myanmar (Debt Market Deal of the Year at the Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards 2016 and one of Asian-MENA Counsel's Deals of the Year 2016).
- Lenders, led by IFC, on the US$830 million PAU Ammonia Project in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
- CAT Financial as lender in connection with a mining equipment lease financing for PT Machinery & Equipment (aka Phu Thai Leasing) for the development of the Dong Bac coal mine in Vietnam.
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, LPC
University of Glasgow, LLB, with honors
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Leading Individual, Projects & Infrastructure: International (Singapore) – Chambers Global
- Expert based abroard (Singapore), General Business Law (Myanmar) – Chambers Global
- Foreign Expert (Myanmar), Projects & Energy (Singapore) – Chambers Global
- Leading Individual, General Business Law, International Firms (Myanmar); Projects & Infrastructure: International (Singapore) – Chambers Asia Pacific
- Recommended Lawyer - Projects: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Leading Individual - Foreign Desks, Myanmar – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Highly Regarded - Energy and Infrastructure (Singapore); Project Development (Myanmar, Singapore); Banking (Myanmar, Singapore); Project Finance (Myanmar, Singapore) – IFLR1000
- Rising Star - Energy and Infrastructure, Banking, Project Finance (Singapore) – IFLR1000
- Rising Star - Finance work in the power sector – IFLR Asia Pacific Energy & Infrastructure Guide
- Foreign Expert (Thailand), Projects & Energy (Singapore) – Chambers Global
- Expert based abroard (Singapore), Projects (Thailand) – Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific
- "Ben is a highly competent lawyer, who is very good in terms of discussions, thoughtfulness and finding solutions." – Chambers Asia Pacific
- ”A real star, with a great focus on Myanmar." – Chambers Asia Pacific
- "’Ahead of the curve’ for his work in Myanmar." – Chambers Asia Pacific
- "The most creditable and experienced lawyer in the field of Lao-Thai hydro IPPs." – IFLR1000
- "Experienced in project financing and development." – Chambers Asia Pacific
- "Detail-oriented and experienced." – The Legal 500
- "Won praise from both clients and other lawyers for his diligence and keen attention to detail." – Chambers Asia Pacific