Vikram Sidhu’s practice focuses on corporate and regulatory insurance matters. He regularly works on sales and acquisitions of insurance and reinsurance companies and portfolios of insurance business, including legacy/runoff transactions. He has worked on a wide range of transactions involving both US and non-US acquirers and sellers in a number of different lines of insurance (property and casualty, life and health, mortgage insurance and others). His experience includes advising clients on insurance businesses and products such as cyber, new climate risks, parametrics and trade credit.
Vikram also regularly advises insurtech clients on the establishment and growth of their businesses as well as large tech companies on insurance products and businesses.
In addition, Vikram advises clients on the full range of insurance regulatory issues under US states’ insurance laws and regulations, such as insurance holding company regulations, surplus lines and other non-admitted insurance, change in control and redomestications, development of new insurance products, insurance captives, insurer insolvency and run-off of existing liabilities, and insurance producer licensing and regulatory compliance.
Vikram's experience includes representation of the following clients:
Insurance M&A and other transactions
- Represented a major global insurance group in a USD 1.9 billion loss portfolio transfer transaction with an international legacy specialist group.
- Represented a major global insurance group in a USD 1.3 billion loss portfolio transfer transaction with an international legacy specialty group.
- Represented cyberinsurance insurtech group in acquisition of insurance company and launch of US surplus lines insurer.
- Represented a joint venture in the acquisition of product liability claims relating to coal dust, asbestos, silica, and other exposures from a manufacturing group.
- Represented a major global insurance group in the sale of environmental business.
- Represented a major global insurance group on its sale of a USD 350 million portfolio of legacy insurance business to an international legacy specialist group.
- Represented a major US/Bermuda insurance group on its sale of a USD 417 million portfolio of legacy insurance business to an international legacy specialist group.
- Represented a large global insurer on the restructuring of its discontinued business programs and related reinsurance transactions.
- Represented a large French insurer on the assumption of health insurance risk from US cedents and legal and regulatory issues with respect thereto.
- Represented a major online business in connection with its investment in an insurance company.
- Represented a major European insurance group in its sale of US legacy/runoff business consisting of a USD 100 million asbestos, pollution and health hazard legacy portfolio.
- Represented a major US/Bermuda global insurance group in the development of the new mortgage credit risk transfer program Enterprise-Paid Mortgage Insurance (EPMI) for Fannie Mae and Integrated Mortgage Insurance (IMAGIN) for Freddie Mac.
- Represented a major US/Bermuda global insurance group in its USD 3.4 billion acquisition of a mortgage insurance business in 2016 and entry into the US mortgage insurance business in 2014 through the acquisition of a mortgage insurance company and operating assets for approximately USD 300 million.
- Represented a major Bermuda-based runoff group in connection with the acquisition of two groups of companies.
- Represented a Bermuda-based group in the acquisition of a life insurance company and the establishment of a US life reinsurance company.
- Represented a global insurance group in its acquisition of property and casualty and crop insurance companies.
- Represented a large US financial institution in connection with its acquisition, through reinsurance, of USD 1.7 billion of policies and corresponding reserves and related assets from life insurer as part of court-ordered rehabilitation and separately its acquisition of a life insurance company.
- Represented a US insurance group in connection with divestiture of its runoff business.
- Represented a global insurance group in the sale of a property and casualty runoff portfolio.
- Represented various clients on traditional and non-traditional reinsurance arrangements.
- Represented insurers in assessing and underwriting of transactional (representations and warranties) insurance policies.
- Represented several non-US insurers in their applications to be included as eligible alien surplus lines insurers in the NAIC Quarterly Listing of Alien Insurers.
- Represented a global on-line travel group for insurance regulatory and transactional matters.
- Represented various insurtechs in the launch and establishment of US and global businesses.
- Represented a reinsurance brokerage in the establishment of business focused on the United States and Latin America, including licensing as a reinsurance intermediary across the United States.
- Represented MGAs in all aspects of insurance intermediary licensing and agreements between managing general agents and underwriters.
- Represented various insurance groups in the preparation of all regulatory filings for change of control and other aspects of acquisitions of insurance companies and related regulatory approvals.
- Represented various clients on the establishment of global or multinational insurance programs.
- Represented various insurance and reinsurance clients as well as insureds under financial guaranty and credit insurance programs.
- Represented various insurance and reinsurance clients on development and launch of parametric insurance and environmental/climate change insurance products.
- Represented various clients with respect to insurance regulatory requirements with respect to:
- Doing insurance business in the United States, including providing insurance coverage to US insureds directly from offshore and on a surplus lines or other non-admitted basis and establishing new licensed insurance companies and branches in the United States;
- Insurance holding company laws and regulations and required filings;
- Credit for reinsurance and collateral requirements under the US states' insurance laws and regulations; and
- Other insurance laws and regulations with respect to insurance companies, producers and insurance products
- Represented the Bermuda subsidiary of one of the world's largest insurance group's in structuring, negotiation and documentation of "transformer" reinsurance transactions with alternative risk providers.
- Represented a Bermuda investment manager in transformer and alternative risk transfer transactions.
- Represented a major investor in the restructuring of developing country sovereign debt.
- Represented an acquirer in the acquisition of a metals recycling and steel business.
- Represented a major microfinance institution in a USD 105 million transaction with respect to a microfinance fund.
- Represented a consortium of selling shareholders in an African bank.
- Represented a joint venture in connection with real estate investments in India.
- Represented a foundation in the sale of 30 major works of contemporary art.
Cornell University, BA, magna cum laude
Harvard Law School, JD
Harvard Business School, Accion Program on Strategic Leadership for Microfinance
Inscription au Barreau
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC)