"Vincent has expertise in derivatives and can practise New York law, English law and Hong Kong law, so he can provide multi-jurisdictional opinions and advice. His work quality is very impressive and I find him to be very reliable."Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
Vincent Sum is a partner of Mayer Brown. He focuses on complex capital markets matters, including structured products, securitisations, derivatives (including equity derivatives, credit derivatives, corporate derivatives, fund derivatives and commodity derivatives), retail and non-retail funds (including SFC approved funds, UCITS and ETFs), secured lending and financing and debt capital markets matters. He advises underwriters, arrangers, portfolio managers, issuers, trustees and institutional investors, and is qualified to practice in Hong Kong, New York, and England and Wales.Vincent has been ranked as a leading individual in Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products and Securitisation in both Chambers Asia Pacific (2013-2020) and Chambers Global (2013-2019). He was accredited as a recommended lawyer in Structured Finance and Securitisation (Hong Kong) in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013-2019) and a highly regarded/leading Lawyer in both Capital Markets: Derivatives and Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation (Hong Kong) in IFLR1000 (2013-2020).
- Advised a subsidiary of Huarong Investment Stock Corporation Limited on the subscription of HK$423 million 8 percent extendable senior secured bonds due 2018 issued by Brighten Path Limited.
- Represented a pan-Asian investment group on its investment in the redeemable convertible bonds issued by a listed PRC pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a global investment fund, as investor, in a pre-IPO investment in the shares of a major pre-IPO PRC state owned enterprise.
- Advised an investment management company on certain RQFII Hong Kong retail funds.
- Advised an international investment bank in respect of fund derivatives and Hong Kong retail investment fund transactions and on various Hong Kong retail fund updates.
- Advised a China-based investment company in relation to cross-border issuances of debt and structured instruments, including:
- the issuance of US$500 million zero coupon convertible bonds governed by New York Law, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- restructuring of existing bond transactions of a Shanghai based company and the solicitation for consents from bondholders to amend the various bond documents
- the issuance of US$700 million Rule 144A bonds by a US-based investment company governed by New York law, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- Advised an international investment bank on derivative transactions involving New York, Hong Kong and English law as well as issues arising under PRC law.
- Advised multiple investment banks on corporate derivative transactions with respect to the floating requirements under the HKSE listing rules.
- Represented issuers on various bond issuance transactions involving the use of proceeds through the QDII regime.
- Advised various banks and investment managers on commodity derivatives involving both hard and soft commodities.
- Advised multiple investment banks on numerous structured finance transactions secured by corporate debt securities, high-yield debt securities and mortgage-backed securities.
- Advised an international bank and a financial services corporation on US securities regulations relating to the sale of fund units to investors in the US.
- Advised Taiwan based entities of a bank on:
- various fund of funds, structured funds and
- the listing of four exchange-traded funds (ETFs) tracking various Taiwan equity indexes on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange - the first batch of existing Taiwan Stock Exchange-listed funds that will be listed on the HKSE.
- Advised an international investment bank on a whole company securitisation involving a Japanese medical group.
- Advised an Indonesian issuer in respect of the offerings of multiple series of exchangeable bonds.
- Advised a Singapore real estate developer as issuer’s counsel on a cross-border debt issuance.
- Advised a New York-based bank as trustee in respect of various global bond offerings.
- Advised a Hong Kong listed investment manager regarding various structured fund transactions.
New York University School of Law, Master of Laws
University of Leeds, Bachelor of Laws
University of Sydney, Bachelor of Economics
Inscriptions au Barreau
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- New York
- Recommended Lawyer - Hong Kong, Structured Finance and Securitisation – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013-2019)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital Markets: Derivatives – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Highly Regarded Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Leading Individual - China, Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products (International Firms) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2013-2020)
- Leading Individual - China, Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products (International Firms) – Chambers Global (2013-2019)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital Markets: Structured Finance and Securitisation – IFLR1000 (2013-2017)
- Leading Lawyer - Hong Kong, Capital Markets: Derivatives – IFLR1000 (2013-2017)
- "He's good in the true-blue derivatives and the structured notes space, with a real strength in derivatives.” – Chambers Asia Pacific (2020)
- "Vincent has expertise in derivatives and can practise New York law, English law and Hong Kong law, so he can provide multi-jurisdictional opinions and advice. His work quality is very impressive and I find him to be very reliable." – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)