"He is dedicated, attentive to details, proactive and diligent."Chambers UK 2022
Kwadwo Sarkodie is a partner in the Construction & Engineering group of the London office. He has substantial experience across a broad range of dispute resolution. He regularly advises employers, insurers, contractors, subcontractors and consultants in relation to disputes concerning such matters as defective works, final accounts, extension of time and loss and expense under a variety of forms of construction contract (both standard form and bespoke). He has extensive experience with regard to litigation, mediation and adjudication.
Kwadwo has wide-ranging international experience, having advised in relation to projects and disputes in Sub-Saharan Africa, South America, India, Russia and the Middle East. He regularly advises in relation to international arbitrations, including under the ICC, UNCITRAL and LCIA rules. Kwadwo has written extensively regarding dispute resolution and arbitration in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Kwadwo joined Mayer Brown in 2004 and was made partner in 2012.
- Advising on a number of ICC arbitrations in connection with the design and construction of a major maritime project in Central America.
- Advising an African government in relation to proceedings before the English Commercial Court concerning high value claims arising out of a fuel supply contract.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to DAB proceedings under the FIDIC form of contract in connection with the supply and installation of combined heat and power plants at three sites in Nigeria.
- Advising a supplier of wind turbine components in relation to an ICC arbitration, followed by enforcement proceedings in multiple jurisdictions in respect of the award obtained.
- Advising an employer regarding claims made by an EPC contractor in relation to a major African LNG project.
- Advising in relation to the preparation of claims and the conduct of arbitral proceedings (under the UNCITRAL rules) in relation to a high value contract under Indian law in the oil and gas sector.
- Advising on behalf of an employer in relation to court proceedings brought by a contractor seeking a takeover certificate in relation to a large steam-generating boiler plant project.
- Advising professional indemnity insurers in relation to a negligence claim against a consultant undertaking monitoring duties for a fund.
- Advising a US-based consultant in relation to a fee dispute arising out of a high-profile Russian project. The dispute was successfully settled at mediation.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a high value adjudication concerning works to the London Underground network under the NEC (2nd edition) form of contract.
- Acting in relation to a substantial professional negligence claim in the Technology and Construction Court arising out of a major retail and leisure development in the North of England.
- Advising a major contractor in relation to a dispute concerning defects and extension of time in connection with the construction of a research laboratory.
- Acting for a funder, drafting and reviewing construction documentation, and providing input to finance documentation, in relation to the financing and re-financing of a major high rise development in London.
- Advising a major contractor in relation to a complex, multi-party defects claim arising out of the construction and fit-out of an office development in London.
- Acting in a substantial number of adjudications under the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996.
- Representing employers, contractors and sub-contractors in connection with proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court pursuing and opposing the enforcement of adjudication decisions, including Bennett (Electrical) Limited v. Inviron Limited  EWHC 49 (QB) and Balfour Beatty Engineering Services (HY) Ltd. v. Shepherd Construction Ltd.  EWHC 2218 (TCC).
Nottingham Law School, LPC
University of Birmingham, LLB, Law and Politics
Inscription au Barreau
- England and Wales
- Kwadwo Sarkodie has substantial experience representing clients in construction-related international arbitrations, including disputes over claims for defective works, loss and expense, final accounts and extension of time. He regularly advises major contractors, sponsors and consultants in both domestic and cross-jurisdictional matters. "He is dedicated, attentive to details, proactive and diligent." (Chambers UK 2022).
- ‘Kwadwo Sarkodie has been an invaluable support and has great clarity of thought and legal precision.’ (Legal 500 2022).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual’ for Construction and under 'Other key lawyers' for Construction and International Arbitration. (Legal 500 2022).
- "He has good judgement and is efficient in dealing with cases." (Chambers UK 2021).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Lawyer' for Construction and under 'Other key lawyers' for Construction and International Arbitration. (Legal 500 2021).
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual', "Really good lawyer" Kwadwo Sarkodie has substantial experience representing clients in construction-related international arbitrations, including disputes over claims for defective works, final accounts, extension of time, and loss and expense. He regularly advises major contractors and is highly experienced in representing clients from Africa. (Chambers UK 2020).
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Construction and International Arbitration, 'Kwadwo Sarkodie is an impressive legal expert in this field'. (Legal 500 2020).
- Kwadwo Sarkodie at Mayer Brown International wins plaudits from sources as “a clever and hard-working lawyer” who stands out for his “impressive presentation and communication of the legal framework and argument” (Who’s Who Legal 2019, Construction).
- Kwadwo Sarkodie is a well-regarded practitioner who regularly represents clients in construction-related international arbitrations. He is experienced in handling disputes concerning defective works, extension of time and loss claims, often acting on behalf of employers, consultants, contractors and insurers. Sources consider him “an excellent lawyer" who "shows great enthusiasm.” (Chambers UK 2019).
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer, Kwadwo Sarkodie is "a machine: his work ethic is second to none." (Legal 500 2018, Construction).
- Other key advisers are ... Kwadwo Sarkodie ... (Legal 500 2018, International Arbitration).
- Kwadwo Sarkodie maintains a well thought of international arbitration practice, regularly representing employers, consultants, contractors and insurers in a broad range of matters. He often handles defective works and extension of time and loss claims, and has particular knowledge of the African market. (Chambers UK 2018).
- Highly rated (Legal 500 2017).
- Kwadwo Sarkodie "has a good handle on strategy and is cost-effective," according to one client. He has a quality international arbitration practice and he represents a broad range of clients including employers, contractors and insurers. His work in Africa is particularly worthy of note. (Chambers UK 2017).
- Kwadwo Sarkodie has a noteworthy practice in international arbitration, in which he acts for clients including insurers, contractors and employers. He has particular expertise in Africa. One source describes him as "technically very good." (Chambers UK 2016).
- Recommended (Legal 500 2015).
- "Excellent" (Chambers UK 2015).
- "A very good, very solid lawyer" (Chambers UK 2014).
- He "shows a real grasp and understanding of complicated construction matters" (Chambers UK 2013).